Thursday, January 13, 2005

wade in the water...

Last night was my final "official" duty at the Wesleyan Church of Hamburg. For the next 12 days, I'm just the eye candy...ha...just kidding.

I led the baptism service last night. It couldn't have been more fitting for me. People making commitments to follow Jesus with everything they have and declaring publicly their love for Him...that's what baptism is all about. It's also a rite of passage into the Body of Christ, the church...at least that's how it was used by those in the early church (the ones who were trying to figure it out right after Jesus left them).

It was a special time as 8 people came into the water, stood with me while someone who loves them read their story about the difference Jesus makes in their life. Then, one by one, I held them as they descended into the water and then I lifted them out again. There is nothing like seeing the face of someone who has just "taken the plunge." It's the face of someone who knows the love and grace of God firsthand. Beautiful.

What a gift to me that I could be a part of this evening with these folks. Welcome to the family...

There are some things I'm working on these days:
- leader supplemental for a church-wide study that we'll be doing after I'm gone;
- my first few messages at Northwest - one and two are about done;
- time with friends...won't get to everyone, but hitting many of the bases;
- packing boxes...and more boxes...and more boxes...

peace,

matt

No comments: