Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Small Group...

It all began about 6 years ago in the Honeymoon Connection -- a Sunday morning class for couples who have been married five years or less. Rick and Carrie had been married about a month. Larry and Audry had been married in the ballpark of a year. Matt and Heidi were the old couple, having been married 4 years. Matt and Jen had been married under a year. We enjoyed each other during the class...it was a good beginning.

Then on February 5, 1999, we met at Matt and Jen's appartment and talked about starting a new small group together. I was the new small group pastor at Hamburg...and was the only one who really knew what I meant by a small group. Thus began a journey.

Others have come and gone, but the core has always been there. Rick & Carrie, Larry & Audry, and Matt & Heidi. Through new jobs, death of a parent, first homes, pregnancies, babies...we were there for each other through it all.

Tonight was our last time meeting as a small group. There will be other times together. This isn't the end of the journey together, but it's about to take a huge shift.

To be honest, I can't put words to how much I will miss them. When I stop and realize that the end is near...I just can't spend much time there. I love you guys like family. You've challenged me, encouraged me, kicked my butt at just the right time. I am who I am today because God has used you in the transformation process within me. Thank you for sharing yourselves with me.

Continuing the journey...just different.

Matt

No comments: