Friday, January 07, 2005

John & Sue Lee

I met John and Sue in the foyer of the church about 5+ years ago. They had resently relocated to Buffalo from CT for John's work (he recently retired as a mucky-muck at Praxair). Their daughter, Christa, had just graduated from college and was beginning and internship at a homework club for kids on the west side of Buffalo. The connection was made in the hopes that WCH and homework club could somehow join forces (more on that connection in the next blog).

John's strength and leadership is understated when you first meet him...I think that's the definition of meekness. You'd never realize that he bought, ran, and sold companies for a living. Sue is quiet, but you know that her wheels are turning and that her thoughts will be profound when she trusts you enough to share them.

For the past 5 yeas, John has been a friend, partner in ministry, and mentor for me. I've learned much from him. One of those lessons has been patience and grace when developing people. I've seem him live that out in the credibility he's gained in the lives of people in the city. He's a driver and achiever...but filled with grace and patience.

He's helped me see myself more clearly...my strengths and weaknesses. He's encouraged me in my growth. He's one of the few people who heard my news about Northwest (though he was on the inside of that decision a bit), his response was, "I'm going to miss you, but it's time for you to do it. You'll never know if you're the leader we both think you are until you do this. Go for it."

Last night, John and Sue came over for a final dinner. We'll cross paths before we leave, but this night was about the four of us. It was a special time and will always be a treasure for me.

John will be one of a handful of men that I pursue throughout my life. As long as he picks up the phone, there will be something for me to learn.

Since my dad died about 24 years ago, I've spent much of my young adult life searching for another, older man to give me the blessing that only a father can give. 4-5 years ago, I gave up that search...it led me down the false path of pleasing men, not God. I found freedom.

Even so, there are still men that God has brought across my path that will always carry a special weight in their words. John is one of those men. Thank you, John, for all the ways you've invested yourself in me. I'm not stepping out to make you proud or to win your praise...but I hope that you see fruit from your investment and find satisfaction in knowing the impact you've made in the life of a young leader.

Peace,

Matt

1 comment:

C-Man said...

wow. awesome. i cannot say any more than that.

cc