Monday, January 17, 2005

Furr Farewell...

Just over six years ago, I began an adventure of discovery...could a large and growing local church experience true community...or would it be so consumed with organization and growth that the sharing of life would be merely a good idea?

After six years, I've been affirmed in my belief that the church is about community, no matter what size. Through intentional investment in the lives of other people, it can happen...people can experience the sort of transformational community that we read about in the Bible.

As my time at WCH draws to a close (a week from tomorrow the truck pulls out), I'm pleased with what I leave behind. God has used me to plant some seeds in the life of this church...seeds that they will need to continue to nurture toward growth.

One of those seeds is sharing life together. Laughing. Crying. Sometimes just being there. I've worked to create opportunities for people to experience that. Not everyone took me up on that, but those opportunities have been there for many. I've also experienced that in my own small group. Gobles and Musielaks have loved us well...beyond words.

Another seed is becoming aware of and responding to the needs of others. I believe that God has used me over the past few years to create some bridges to the city and the surrounding community. The evidence of that bridge was seen yesterday at the Furr Farewell. Peace of the City Gospel Choir surprised me by showing up at WCH and singing a few songs. It was a taste of heaven for me to see two communities in which I've invested significantly praising God together. As pleased as I was, I can't only imagine how pleased God is when people from different worlds enter into His presence together.

The Furr Farewell was a special time. It's a little like going to your own funeral. Most people don't get an opportunity to hear people reflect on the impact your investments actually make. My gift from the people was when one after another, they shook my hand or hugged me as they explained (usually very specifically) what difference I've made in their lives. "My family is walking with God because of you." "I'm here because of you." "When you married my son and his wife, I saw something different in you...that's why my family is coming here." For some, it was a message that I gave in a weekend service. For others, it was walking through dark days with a couple who was giving their marriage one last chance. For another, it was the baptism of his son less than a year before he was killed in an accident. For yet another, it was standing in a hospital room with a couple whose newborn baby (born 4 months too early) was laying lifeless in the bassinet...I was the only one to see Hannah.

Sharing life together is a gift. But to do so with the knowledge that there is something eternal is what we've done together...that's food for the soul.

Thank you for loving us so well, WCH. We love you deeply and look forward to being with you again...if not in this world, then in the life to come.

Peace on the journey,

Matt

No comments: