Monday, February 07, 2005

First Impression Redemption...

I love the word redemption (I actually like the concept more than the word). It has so much power. The fact that something foul can be made winsome...it's like turning dog crap into gold! Who wouldn't want some of that?!?!

There is something special about first impressions. The first time you meet me, you don't know that much about me...you really only know what I want you to know. And likewise, I don't know all about your history. There is something redemptive about that because you aren't holding my past against me. Isn't that a huge part of redemption...That my past no longer determines my future?

The only thing better than first impressions...is going deeper into community with someone who sees all my warts and still doesn't hold them against me. It's that place where I am known as Matt -- there are no other hats (or pants...inside joke for a few back in Hamburg) allowed...just me. It's a place where my shortcomings are acknowledged, but not condoned...I'm not judged, but lovingly challenged.

The gift in this? That's the place where my character is most transformed to reflect the character of Jesus. And there is hardly a greater gift.

This life is a journey toward discovering places like this. It's a quest really. It requires fighting through initial impressions and pre-conceived notions about love and friendship. It means working through conflict, not running from it. It requires the hard work of trust, love, and selflessness. It doesn't come easy, by any means. But it's a good journey.

Peace (on the journey),

Matt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Larry would be so proud of you, Matt. You handle the language and the ideas so well. I'm sure Heidi has had a good influence on you as well. And now the kids...

Love,
Uncle Howie