Sunday, February 06, 2005

Big day...Go Pats!

It's been a big day for the Furr family.

This morning was our first worship gathering at Northwest Christian Community. Though I've been at the office and my first official day was last Tuesday, today felt like the beginning...the beginning of something good.

I was "installed" as the new Lead Pastor and also as one of the Elders. There are 7 elders, who provide overall leadership (spiritual, organizational, and structural...which is pretty much the same as organizational) for the church community. Elders are servant leaders who are involved with just about every facet of life in the church - some teach, some care for the building, others serve children. It's a great group of men and a woman...I'm excited to work with them to lead Northwest.

The people of Northwest were so kind and affirming. It was special to have them affirm their commitment to stand with me and support me as a key leader and then to have them pray for Heidi and me.

Shortly after that, I gave my first message as lead pastor. It's only the beginning of what I hope will become a conversation. All those little comments that people have after a service...go write them down as a part of the discussion -- you can link there through the Northwest web site (www.nwcc.cc). It will be fun to interact together.

After the worship gathering, most everyone stuck around for a great pot-luck lunch (it's where everyone brings some sort of food to share with everyone else...the ones to get in line first get the best luck from the pots). It was a great time to get to know some people. This is a group that loves to hang out together...especially when food is involved.

After a little down time this afternoon, Heidi and I watched out Pats win the Super Bowl! Sorry, Buffalo friends...we really do love the Pats...have since we lived out there. It was a great game...and though not as dramatically, Viniateri won it for them again. Kept us on the edge of our couch the whole game...that's more fun than a blowout.

Tomorrow is my family day. I think there isn't anything too special planned...just a bit more digging out. Heidi is doing an awesome job settling things into their proper places. Way to go, babe!!

It's late...sort of...and now I'm going to bed.

Peace,

Matt

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pats, I'm sick of the Pats.

Anonymous said...

you'd better take some tums...they're going to be around a while! Same time (approx) next year, we'll do it again...unless the Bills make a surprise comeback sooner than expected...hmmm...
Matt