Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Day Two...

Don't worry, I'm not beginning a cycle of numbering my days...it's just that I don't have much creativity in my brain right now...do you get "Day Two."

My books have found their home today. No, they aren't organized, just out of boxes and off the floor. It took me 4 years to get them in order in Hamburg, I hope to have it done within one here!

The office is quiet today. It feels like a Saturday felt back in Hamburg, no one around, quiet thoughts, slower pace. Should be good for writing, which is what today will be mostly about.

One of the reasons that transitions like this are so tiring is because nothing can be assumed. You can't drive to the store on autopilot...and if you do, you end up about 5 miles down a road you've never seen before wondering how you're going to get home (like me last night). You can retrieve anything from the kitchen without stopping and thinking where it might be....thankfully, milk in the fridge is always a good bet.

Even with people, you can't assume certain things. All these relationships are new. Kevin and Sara are already good friends...but there is so much that we have yet to learn about each other.

Part of the comfort of life is not having to think about every little thing. Change forces the issue. That's why so many people resist change (not only do they not like it, they work against it). We all settle into our routines...nothing wrong with that. But change is good because it helps us rethink about life. Why do I shop where I do? Why do I drive the places I drive? Why do I think these things about God? Where will I pray now? Will my prayers change? Will this force me to connect more meaningfully with my God? I hope so...

I'm thankful to be here. Tired. But so thankful.

Peace,

Matt

No comments: