Tuesday, November 30, 2004

My "armor-bearer"

From the Old Testament book 1 Samuel chapter 14, verses 6 and 7:

"Jonathan said to his young armor-bearer, 'Come, let's go over to te outpost of those uncircumcised fellows. Perhaps the LORD will act in our behalf. Nothing can hinder the LORD from saving, whether by many or by few.'

"'DO ALL THAT YOU HAVE IN MIND,' his armor-bearer said. 'GO AHEAD; I AM WITH YOU HEART AND SOUL.'"

Jonathan was the son of the king of Israel, Saul. The nation was at war and Saul was making some terrible decisions -- decisions that dishonored God. But Jonathan saw this as an opportunity to honor God, so responded in obedience. But more than Jonathan, notice the response of the man who carried his armor...

I have spent the past several months wrestling with this decision to leave Hamburg for Northwest. I have fasted, prayed, sought counsel, listened as closedly to God as possible. I have decided to move away from people who are soul-sharingly close to us. This decision effects many people, but none more than my wife and children.

All the time that I have been wrestling through this decision, Heidi's response has been, "Go wherever God is leading and I'll come along."

On our wedding day, just over 10 years ago, she made a vow, saying, "Where you go, I will go. Where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people; and your God will be my God. May God deal with me ever so severely if anything but death seperates me from you." The words came from Ruth speaking to her mother-in-law (Ruth 1:16-17). But the sentiment was from her soul. I suspect she never realized what those words would mean for her...that they would mean changing friendships, packing boxes, pouring herself out for others, getting new nursing licenses (IL state is a real pain).

She has been faithful to her words every step of the way. She is my armor-bearer. And together, we will battle the "enemy" standing strong and bringning honor to our God as we walk side-by-side.

Peace,

Matt

No comments: