Saturday, November 27, 2004

the news...

This weekend I'm preaching from the old Testament story from Genesis 22. The Cliffs Notes verson is this: Abraham was promised a son, who would be the first of many decendants (so many that they would make up a new nation). Problem: Abraham was an old man and his wife was very barren (as opposed to slightly barren). They laughed all the way to the delivery room where Isaac was born. Great...God fulfilled his promise...very cool. The story I'm looking at this weekend is when God instructs Abraham to sacrifice (yes, this was in the day when animal sacrifices were made for the forgiveness of sin) his son Isaac -- not just the send-him-away-to-school sort of sacrifice...the kind with a knife and a fire. Just before Abraham is about to do it...God stops him. Abe passed the test. God honored the obedience of Abraham because he loved God more than his own son. Talk about an intense test.

There are times in our lives when God asks us to give up that which we treasure. Sometimes he stops us before we really lose it/him/her...and other times, he doesn't.

This has been one of those times for me. This leg of the journey began about 8 months ago with a stirring in my spirit. Didn't really know what to make of it, but it got my attention and brought me to a place of seeking God is a special way.

After some time, I began to identify this stirring as God preparing me to leave Hamburg. No, it couldn't be...could it?

I told Heidi what was going on, figuring she'd put a stop to things. She was pregnant with Liberty (the meaning of her name will take on more significance in a moment)...I assured her that I would not yank her from her home and closest friends any time too soon. Her response..."If God's leading us, then let's go." It's not that she was excited about leaving Hamburg, but she was open to whatever God has for us. That's true freedom.

So the journey continued. I asked several friends who have known me at various points of my journey to become part of a "kitchen cabinet" of advisors. Brenda, Larry, Denny, Jason, Mike, Matt...you're partnership in this has been huge...thank you. We prayed that God would reveal himself and the direction I should go.

I began to quietly put my name out there, sending resumes to churches that were looking for a lead pastor. Nothing...a few bites, but nothing really fit.

I was about to stop the process for a couple years when I got word back from a church near Chicago. The conversation began...and progressed. Every step, I sensed God saying, "Take the next step. Trust me." So I did.

At every step in the process, God affirmed his leadership. I also saw a church that seemed to match just about everything on my "checklist" of important values...

- outreach oriented
- open to change
- desirous of growth
- relational vs. program-driven
- desire to be relevant in a changing culture
- already turned the corner to more progressive worship gatherings
- a staff to partner with me (I'm not gifted enough to be a solo pastor!)
- an elder team to serve as strong partners in leadership

In October, Heidi and I and the kids (you might remember us blogging about a trip to Chicago and the kids' first flights) went to meet the elders and leaders in person. It was a very real trip -- I prayed to see clearly and I think He answered me. I liked what I saw.

After receiving a job offer that was contingent on affirmation from the full congregation, I prayed...and prayed...and prayed. It has been a long time since I have wrestled with God like that. I was looking for a "burning bush" (reference story of Moses in Exodus in the Old Testament) sort of epiphany...didn't happen. I wrestled well over a week.

Then I decided. Through prayer and great counsel, I accepted the position and the opportunity to candidate formally, which we did a couple weeks ago.

On Tuesday afternoon this past week, I got a call from Northwest Christian Community, letting me know that the congregation voted by a large majority, to affirm the decision of the elders. I accepted.

Following the phone call, I printed my letter of resignation from Hamburg Wesleyan and Peace of the City. I delivered the message to Greg, my friend and Senior Pastor, in person.

It's a bitter-sweet time for the Furrs. We're inside-out-excited about what lies ahead. But we are heart-broken as we say good-bye to our friends who have become family for us.

This weekend, in the worship gatherings, I will share the news with the whole community. I think most of the people we're closest to know already...we've had about a week to tell them. I think most people will be shocked a bit.

I love this community of people. I want to stay here with them. I've got a good life here -- great job with people I love, meaningful investment in God's plan, dear friends, a great little house...everything a person could want. But God is asking me if I love my life more than him. He's asking me to be obedient. It really isn't even a fraction of what Abraham experienced...but in a similar way, God wants me to love him more than anything else. And my answer is yes.

And just like God did for Abraham, I believe that out of my obedience, He will reveal himself faithful. He will provide friends (He already is). He will provide a home for my family. He will provide meaningful participation in His plan.

So that's the news. The Furrs are moving to Lake County, IL. The new faith community is called Northwest Christian Community and is in Mundelein, IL -- about 30 miles nw of Chicago. We will move toward the end of January.

I have no doubt that we will both share more as we continue to process this huge transition.

Peace on the journey,

Matt

ps - There you go, Mom, you can tell whoever you want now!! Thanks for holding it close!

1 comment:

C-Man said...

WOW! i knew God has been moving on your hearts but no idea that was it!!
that is awesome. I will be checking out the church via the net. and as always if there is anything I can do just let me know.

100% in your camp!

Peace,
c-man