Monday, November 15, 2004

HOME!!!!

There isn't anything like walking in the door of your home when you've been on the road for 9 days...I love coming home! Through allergies, ear infections, colds (everyone had their turn), boogers, and butts that spent too much time in the seat of a van, we had a great time visiting friends and family in the midwest. For those of you who prayed for us during our journey, thank you. To those who shared your home, laughter, and stories, thank you.

While on the trip, there was part of me that just wanted to come home early. The kids were maxed out and so was I. I knew that being home would make it better -- at least it would seem better. But we didn't come home early...we pressed on through.

Hold on, this isn't me just bemoaning the trip like a negative nelly...I've learned something here...

There is a similar longing to be home, spiritually. Life can be tough sometimes (though there are many sweet moments, too). In those moments, there's something in my spirit that longs to be in that place that will become my home. I've never been to the other side...but I know that there will be a hook for my coat when I walk through the door.

Seeing Jesus face to face, reaffirming beautiful friendships, entering the presence of the Creator...all these things will be like home...I just won't have to unpack when I get there.

In this life, there is something deep within that already resonates with those things. It's what I feel when I laugh deeply with Rick, when I listen to my tearful friend affirm her love for me in a phone call, when I walk in the woods and hear only creation. It's what jumps within me when I close my eyes and hear a congregation of people worshipping God through music. It's what brings clarity when I learn something about God that is true. It's the feeling of gratefulness when my son grabs my hand as we walk along in the grass together. It's that spark when I meet a new friend and it feels like we've known each other longer than a day.

God has planted the seed of "home" in all of our hearts. What makes your heart jump and long to be home?

If not before, I'll see you there!

Peace,

M@

No comments: