Wednesday, December 08, 2004

the moment...

This afternoon, I spent some time at home with the kids while Heidi was getting her teeth filled (cracks in the teeth complements of our newfy...thanks, Sailor). Izak was sitting at his little desk coloring something wonderful that only he knew. He was so absorbed in his work that he didn't even notice that Mom walked in...holding a big blue balloon...

"Izak, Mommy's home...and look what she brought you!"

You could see the information bouncing around in space while before it struck him that Mommy, indeed, was home. He glanced up...and in one 1/2 second moment, he stood up, inhaled with excitement, and his face just beemed as if all hope was revealed in the image he saw before him...Mommy with a balloon...in his own house...could it be?

I can't really capture the moment. I would give my left arm for a picture. His face and countenence captured everything pure, hopeful, and joyful that is possible in the world...all wrapped up in a moment in the life of a little boy. It was just a fraction of a second. But it was my gift to see it. It made my day.

I did a message tonight about expectation as it relates to Jesus' return to this world. I couldn't help but make the connection from what I witnessed in my son and what will happen in that moment...the moment when we all realize that what he said would happen...happens. The Bible says it will be like a twinkle of light...1/2 second...one moment...that will never end. Eternity will be captured in that moment. There will be no let-down of reality. No "is that it?" No more death. No more weeping. No more loneliness. No more failure. Only the moment...forever.

I don't think I can fully understand what it will be like to live in the presence of Jesus forever. He won't be a little baby or even a meek man of power. He will be revealed as the king and ruler of all that is...fully in his power and majesty. I can't quite wrap my imagination around that moment.

But thanks to my son and his love of his mother and balloons...I caught a glimpse of it...if even for just a moment.

No comments: