Friday, December 24, 2004

Christmas memories...

There's something about having kids that makes Christmas a bit more special for me. I've always loved the holiday and what it stands for, but it hasn't carried the same sense of treasure that it has while growing up. In years past, trees and decorating was optional -- we usually had at least a few decorations up, but because of traveling or schedules didn't put much into it some years.

This year, it's more important to begin to establish Christmas memories for our kids. Izak is almost old enough to "get it" when it comes to the fun of Christmas. By next year, he'll be full swing and Libby won't be far behind.

Here are some of the things I remember about Christmas as a kid...

- Christmas Eve candlelight service at church. I couldn't tell you much about the specifics, but I do remember when I got old enough to hold my own little torch!
- Waking up early and trying to get the rest of the family up, too. I usually had a little help from the cat, who "accidentally" walked up and own the keyboard of the piano...at 6am...hmmm...
- my train set. It was the first Christmas after my father died. Mom said that he had it picked out prior to his passing, but I think she probably had more to do with it than she let on. It was a special gift. I loved playing with the train...watching it go around and around... Though it's in boxes, I still have it in the basement. Someday, I'll pull it out and Izak, Libby, and I will have fun watching it go around the track.
- The stockings. The Christmas tv specials (Frosty The Snowman, Rudolph, Peanuts...). Eating a special breakfast on Christmas morning -- AFTER opening presents.

There was just something special about Christmastime. The air was different. It was all just good.

I suspect that part of what made it great was my inattention to the crap going on in the world. I didn't know that Nixon resigned or that gas prices were through the roof and people had to wait in lines. I didn't know that Vietnam vets were still recovering from just coming home or that people hated each other because of their race. I didn't realize that the USSR wanted to destroy the United States and visa versa. I didn't know about families living on the streets, daddies without jobs, or mommies that found a new family.

I just didn't know about this stuff...and it was a gift to me...the gift of innocence.

That's the beauty of kids. Izak doesn't know that the US is hip-deep in a war in the middle east. He doesn't care about red states or blue states. He doesn't know that daddy and mommy are about to move away from their closest friends and that it breaks their hearts. He doesn't know about...much of anything.

But he does know that his mommy and daddy love him. He knows that somehow, in the big picture of life, bubbles and balloons are important. He knows he's not supposed to open the tray to the cd player, but that he can change the disk to his favorite songs. He knows that he loves to jump on the bed when daddy holds his hands.

There it is...it's coming again...the wonder of Christmastime with a child. How ironic...the beauty of Christmas is all about the power of a child to offer a different view of the world. And in the lives of children all over, it happens again and again. What a gift!

Have a great Christmas! Make some new memories with people you love.

Wishing you peace and joy on earth,

Matt

No comments: