Friday, December 31, 2004

last 2004 blog...

Well, this is it for 2004. What are your resolutions for 2005? Here are mine:

1) The ole' lose weight thing. It's time to get back on the wagon. I've still got a net loss of 25 pounds in 2004. My plan is to write down what I eat and track carbs/prot/fat for everything...it's worked this far. I have a weight goal in my mind, but what's more important is getting my eating under control.

2) By this time next year, I'd like to be running about 20 miles per week. That is the base from which I'd like to train to run the Chicago Marathon in 2006. I'm not committing to the marathon yet...not sure that I'll have the time to train for that. It would be fun because there are about 3-4 people from Hamburg who would come out to run it with me if I do it. But in 2005, it's up to 20 miles per week.

You might say, "Boy, Matt, those aren't very spiritual resolutions." But, oh, contrair...the way I care for my body has everything to do with being a good steward of what God has given me...health, calling, family, etc. If I die young (like my dad did), then I leave my kids too early and I don't accomplish what I believe God wants me to accomplish in this life. So caring for my body (not winning any contests or anything here, just getting healthier) is very much a spiritual thing.

3) I'd like to become a bit more kind. The Bible speaks of kindness as a fruit of God's spirit at work in me. I've made some progress, but I still yell at slow or dorky drivers more than I'd like Izak to see. I still refer to people as idiots or morons more than I should -- I think Jesus would take offense at me characterizing people he loves that way.

What are ways that I've grown this past year? You'll have to ask Heidi and Rick (my closest friend) to be sure, but here are ways I think I've grown...

1) I've made some progress on the shysical health issue.

2) Patience. If you have kids, you either learn to be more patient or you implode.

3) Kindness/Gentleness. I think I've become more gentle in the way I express myself. A bit less bellowing and flagrant language...a bit.

4) I've grown as a manager of the money God has given me. It's His money, I just get to use it. I think I'm growing. When it came time to buy a house in IL, Heidi and I opened ourselves up, sharing very specific numbers. I hate sharing money stuff with anyone...makes me feel very vulnerable. But it also was great to have people that love me so much that the numbers don't matter...and I trust that they have my best at heart.

2005 will be marked as a great and difficult year. It will be great because of the new adventures that lie ahead. I'm excited about leading the people of Northwest Christian Community to be effective in honoring God and loving people. I'm excited about the new friends we'll make -- and the ones we've already made. I'm excited about helping Izak grow and learn as a little boy. I'm excited about helping Liberty grow -- she'll probably begin walking and even talking a bit this year. I'm excited about continuing to grow as a husband, learning and loving Heidi.

It's also going to be a very difficult year because of the move from Hamburg. We've been away from our families since we were married -- we're used to that. But moving from our dear friends in Hamburg...that's going to be very sad for us...difficult to put words to. We've shared our lives so deeply...

I know that we'll continue to share life with these friends. We'll talk on the phone and meet for vacations. But the daily grind will be different without them nearby. Sure, they could move with us...but we're not that close;-) [Note: that's me being a smart ***]

In all these things, I know this for sure...God is faithful and He will only continue to reveal His incredible love for us as we respond in obedience and faith. And that...that's the best part about looking ahead to 2005!

Peace,

Matt

No comments: