Friday, October 01, 2004

post-debate...

I joined about 50 million Americans in watching the two presidential candidates address issues in each other's company last night. Though pundits and talk-show hosts were sort of down on the format, I thought it actually worked well. Americans don't like relational tension, so having a format where they would not directly interact, prevented what many would call a "nasty" exchange.

Both men feel strongly about their perspectives, that's for sure.

I think that Bush didn't "perform" as well as I would have hoped. I think he said many good things and was clear on his distinctions. But his presence on the stage was not as smooth as I thought Kerry's was.

I am still not much clearer on where Kerry stands and what his plans are. Many of the things the he was concrete about are already being done. He just hates that Bush is doing them.

He was still trying to play both sides of issues...for example...he chastised Bush for not creating a strong coallition for the war in Iraq; then he was critical because the US isn't doing bi-lateral talks with N. Korea, but relying on China and Russia to talk NK into giving up their nuclear ambitions. I wish someone would have come out and said that the only allies that "count" are France and Germany. They are traditional allies (sort of). But Kerry doesn't see the other nations that are involved.

Kerry thinks that the wealthiest Americans should carry the heaviest tax load (which I agree with), but that doesn't translate to his foreign policy. America is the only "super-power" in the world. We are the wealthiest nation and the strongest miliatry (for now), yet kerry seems to think that other nations ought to be carrying the same load for justice in the world. I think we do have a responsibility to stand up and act, alone if needed.

I hope that Karen Hughes kicked Bush's butt for his poor presence. He was Bush, but he did seem frustrated and, at the end, tired. Great closing statement, but the last half hour, he kept drinking from an empty glass and looking distracted while Kerry talked.

The incumbant will always be on the defense in a debate like this. This election is all about Bush and very little about Kerry. Last night, Bush didn't defend as well as I thought he could.

As I've written before, I begin my political ideas leaning right. So far Kerry hasn't given me anything to bring me over to his side and Bush, overall, solidifies my opinion. Is he perfect? No.

That's enough for a Friday morning. Next Tuesday is the vice-presidential debate. Edwards will, I'm sure, be great in this setting. Cheney will be solid. I predict a draw.

On other topics:

Catalyst worship gathering went well last night. The worship set flowed nicely. I feel good about the message...talked about the woman who poured her expensive perfume on Jesus' feet while he had dinner at a pharisee's house. It was a great picture of the two different responses to God -- legalistic religion vs. love and worship out of gratefulness. It was a good challenge for me as I studied and prepared.

All three of my house-mates are sick! Izak got the cold first, shared it with Heidi and now Libby. Buggers galore! So far, I'm hanging tight...so far...

Gott go...I have this huge boulder right on my heels...it's called "next week."

Peace,

M@

1 comment:

cityfrog said...

Hey Matt,

I'm guessing that if I've read this in Brisbane, you've probably come across it in your neck of the woods. But in case not, check out www.drurywriting.com/keith/democrat.htm.

It seems that I am amongst a number of people who lend Drury their ears. Thought this would be a useful part of the political conversation.

My country has its federal election this Saturday. No doubt, the US has as much about our election as we do yours ;)

Leanne.