Sunday, October 24, 2004

Uncle Howie...

I've been an uncle for over a dozen years now. I think I'm a pretty good uncle. I do my best to expell gas when the appropriate finger is pulled...all the things that make an uncle special!

In this regard (and others), I've got a pretty great uncle. While playing a rousing game of "Oh, Sh**", he would do the obligatory side lean and rip...all in good fun!

Being a journalism professor in California, he was also good at correcting poor grammar. And when I was considering photo journalism, he was one of my biggest encouragers (whether he knew it or not).

This morning, I'm not sure why, I was thinking about Uncle Howie. I can't help but smile whenever I do. But this morning, I was struck by something different.

Here I am in Western New York...I am on staff at a great church...I am serving God and following Him with all that I have. I am doing my best to encourage others on their spiritual journey, as well. In a very real way, I'm doing this because of Uncle Howie.

Howie was the first person in my mother's family to give his heart to Jesus. Because of his influence, my mother gave her heart to Christ. And she is the one who told me about Jesus and guided me through the process of giving my life to Him.

I have a family legacy of faith because of the step of faith of one young man...Uncle Howie.

I don't know that I've ever said thank you for that. Knowing that you read this now and then, Howie...let me thank you for the legacy that you began many years ago. Because of you, my family loves Jesus and there are people who are living by faith in Him whom you will never know this side of eternity.


Peace,

Matt

No comments: