Wednesday, October 27, 2004

election reflection...

First of all, I've got to say...GO SOX!!! My dad's not a believer...GO SOX!!!! Though I do appreciate irony enough that I could chuckle (amidst the tears) if they lose...in which case, I will also begin to believe in curses. If they lose now, they should just disband the team, turn in their uniforms, and cease to exist...

Now, I'd like to reflect on the election next Tuesday. I don't know that I've really ever been undecided...but I have been open to changing my mind. I haven't. Here are some bullet-point thoughts...

What I like about Bush:
1) I like that he intends to integrate his faith into his life. I like that he's given his life to Jesus and believes that means something. (stay tuned for the flip side of this point)
2) I like that he does what he says he will do. He doesn't hide agendas. Perhaps I'm a sucker, but he seems to be driven by ideology, which I consider a good thing.
3) I think he's smarter than most people give him credit for. I read an article today that he actually scored higher than Kerry on graduate entrance and iq exams...hmmm.
4) I like that he'll have a life if he loses. I'm sure he'll be disappointed and feel like crap for a few days, but he hasn't lived his life leading up to this moment. He hasn't spend decades positioning himself to be President. He saw an opportunity to lead and took it in Texas and then in the country. When he's not president, he'll drive a truck and clear brush in Texas.
5) Laura is a class act. No matter the situation, she is a classy lady who exercises grace and wisdom in what she does and doesn't say.
6) I like his strong position on defense and getting to the root of terrorism -- I don't think that getting radical islamic fundamentalists to like us is the answer to the problem. And I think his policies are seeing positive fruit in Libya and will work in N. Korea and Iran.
7) I like that he's willing to make difficult decisions based on advise that he trusts and listens to. Once the decision is make, it's made.

What I don't like about Bush:
1) I wish that he would integrate his faith more fully. I think a theology of life extends to criminals (I'm stilly weighing out my take on capital punishment, but I'm beginning to lean against it), the poor, and the oppressed. I think that he believes that his policies will be good for the poor (which some numbers from the CBO seem to indicate -- the lower 20% of income earners actually benefit a great deal under Bush's tax plan), but he doesn't use his platform to call the wealthy to a higher level of generous and strategic giving.
2) I don't like that his policies have put the church in a difficult spot globally. Christ-followers from America will be discredited because Christianity is associated with America.
3) I hate that people are trying to make America a Christian nation. There is not such thing as a Christian nation until Jesus comes back. Christians should influence policy, but not for the intent of creating a climate that favors christianity, but for the good of society. The christian culture that has permeated America has been bad for Church because it's made her lazy and way too trusting of human government and society...different topic for another blog.

What I like about Kerry:
...hmmm...just kidding...there must be something...
1) He married well...again, I joke!
2) He tries to integrate his faith into his concern for the poor and the environment. It's possible that he's only saying that because he knows he needs to compete for the religious vote, but I'll assume he's sincere. Just because he's never said that before the second debate doesn't mean it isn't true.
3) I think he's a good man. I was influenced by his daughters talking about him at the convention.
4) He served his country well in a difficult time. And he made some difficult choices when he returned.

What I don't like about Kerry:
1) He's been a Senator for 20 years and has little to show for it. As a former resident of Mass. he didn't do jack for the state or the country. He's made his name by serving as a prosecutor in the Senate, not as a statesman.
2) He doesn't seem like a man of conviction. I'd rather know his ideology and the values that he will use to guide his decisions. Though not as obvious as Clinton, I think he makes decisions based on the direction of the wind.
3) I don't like that he will prioritize the United Nations. The more that comes out about the organization, the more it becomes clear that here is significant corruption which compromises the security of the US.
4) I don't like that he think of only France and Germany as our alies. I don't understand how he will be greeted at the table by the many countries who are joining us in Iraq. Are we carrying a heavy load? Yes.
5) I wish he was consistent on his perspective on the haves and have-nots. He thinks the rich people should carry the load for the poor (which they should). But he doesn't think that the rich nation should carry the load for poor nations. He's against America carrying the weight of the Iraq war and he's against good jobs leaving the US for other countries. A consistent position would be to create better jobs here so that the jobs that leave can feed men and women in India, South America, and other countries that could use a hand. Isn't that better than just sending them money? I think so.

I have been open to buying Kerry...he just hasn't sold me. I don't think he's a good leader. I am concerned about his lack of clarity on foreign and domestic policy (which means he'll be very swayed by advisors instead of his own convictions). I don't like that he's comfortable using fabricated stories and innuendo to sling mud. He's been the un-Bush candidate, not the pro-Kerry candidate. And for that reason, I will be voting for Bush on Tuesday and encouraging anyone that I can to do the same.

But either way, just make sure you vote...if you don't, keep your beak shut for the next four years because you didn't do what you could have to influence the direction of our country. Voting is a gift. Standing in line, sifting through matierial to education yourself, and speaking your mind are all difficult things...but it's a small price to pay to live in a country where your voice can be heard and your vote counts.

Peace,

Matt

No comments: