Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Monthly Mother's Day...

I'm going to recommend (and I'll bet Hallmark will be all over this) that we celebrate Mother's Day once every month...

I've been home from work for two weeks now (today is Libby's two week birthday!) caring for Izak so that Heidi and Libby can get to know each other better. I love my son, daughter, and wife...but I'm learning that I was not created to be a stay-at-home father. Izak is drilling me into the ground like my tee shot on hole one at the local country club (that's a whole nother story!!)! He's so fast and curious these days. On one hand, it's fun to see him experiment. On the other hand, I'm not mentally equipped enough to stay the necessary one step ahead of him. I suppose everyone should spend a couple weeks doing something that makes them feel inept...in the presence of someone who is so good at it.

Heidi rocks as a mother! It's like she's in Izak's head or something. She's say, go look to see if he's...XYZ...and sure enough, he's xyz-ing all over the kitchen! She has special powers or something! Incredible!

Like I said earlier...I love my family. I can't believe that God has entrusted me with them like He has. I'm both grateful beyond words and humbled. Every moment, as tiring as some might be, is a gift that I will treasure into eternity.

I live for moments like the one when Izak, my 20-month old scientist, reaches up to hold my hand and walks with me to the field behind our home. In that moment, we are Daddy and Son...

I suppose there's a lesson here about me and God...how many times do I dump the proverbial cranberry juice all over the coffee table - just to see if it really will make cool splashy noises. And He just patiently explains that dumping a glass makes a mess. And then there's something in the back field that I want to explore...with Him. So I take His hand and walk...talking all the way...but mostly just enjoying the fact that my Father is with me. And for those moments (to be determined only by the length of time that I'm willing to hold His hand and walk)it's Daddy and Son...

To the back field we go...

M@

No comments: