Thursday, June 24, 2004

big dog convergence...

I may have told you a little about the church plant project that I'm working on. Last summer, the church board of Hamburg Wesleyan (my church) empowered me to form a team to explore what it might look like to develop a worshipping community in the city of Buffalo (which is about 15 miles north of Hamburg and in dire need of healthy worshipping communities). Since that time, I've been meeting with a team to explore the possibilities. It's been an exciting journey as we have worked through some substantial issues.

A couple months ago, I connected with a guy names Eric, who is planting a church on the West Side of Buffalo with an "emerging church" paradigm. His team's strategy actually brought together the primary elements of what Hamburg's team was working on. Here's the kicker...Eric is on staff at a Presbyterian church north of the city. Wesleyan and Presbyterian church don't have much of a history of working together on much of anything.

But that's about to change (probably) in Buffalo. Today, I met with Eric and his Senior Pastor along with several from my team and Greg, my Senior Pastor, and Bill, my Associate Pastor. It was a convergence of the "big dogs."

And the meeting went well! Knox Church, the "mother" for the new church (Bethlehem), is reflecting such an amazing heart in this. They haev already made great progress without us, but are eager to have us at the table of planning and leading the new church. They are so into forging partnerships, that they are holding their plans with an open hand. You don't see that so much in the church these days (sad, I know).

This project is so huge that it will only come to pass if God is leading it. That's what I want to be a part of...something so big there is now way I could get my hands around it!

I don't know if the Hamburg church board will sign up for a partnership like this. I pray that they will. There are many hurdles, but I think God's up to something here...and I want to be a part of it.

I'll keep you posted.

This weekend should be a trip. I'm doing three weddings...holy matrimony, Batman! Heidi's mother, sister, and brother-in-law are all coming for a visit. Mom will be here for the week to help out with Izak so that I can get back to work. Kat and Dave are here only the weekend to hang out with the new niece. Should be fun...if not a little crazy.

Peace,

M@

No comments: