Friday, June 18, 2004

Juneteenth...

I haven't really paid much attention to this holiday...I'm not even sure it's a holiday anywhere else outside of New York. Juneteenth is the celebration of the end of slavery.

That seems like a pretty great thing to celebrate...for everyone, not just those who are decended from slaves. The end of chattle slavery in the United States was a victory for all human beings because all human beings have incredible worth in God's eyes. Yet almost 150 years after the end of slavery by presidential proclamation, many people still don't live in the profound reality of the worth of every human.

What was the name of the lady who drove 15 miles per hour UNDER the speed limit today?

What was that thought that I had about the homeless man I drove by last week?

What was the first thing that popped into my mind when I talked with someone about their addiction to drugs?

Oh...yeah...well...I guess I still haven't arrived at the point where placing value on EVERYONE comes without intentionally thinking about it...

That's why I'm grateful for holidays like Juneteenth, MLK Jr Day, Black History Month, and any other day that makes me remember that God is delighted in the people He created and that my posture should always be one of humility and gratefulness to God for the variety of cultures, levels of intelligence, gender, political bent, economic position, etc.

No matter what you'll be doing this weekend, remember...and have a happy Juneteenth!

M@

No comments: