Sunday, June 06, 2004

Dr. Glenn Martin

Dr. Martin was a professor of political science at Indiana Wesleyan University (my alma mater) until he died last week, ending a 3 year battle with cancer. I suspect that his passing is as or more profound for many as the passing of the United States' 40th President, Ronald W. Reagan.

Dr. Martin played a significant role in my life. Heading into college, I was trying to "run" from a call to leadership in the church. I wasn't doing anything as dramatic as Jonah (see his story in the Old Testament book which carries his name) - at least not outwardly. I had been told early on that if I could be happy doing anything else, do it...I would be very happy (I thought) pursuing political science/pre-law. But God kept pursuing me. Dr. Martin helped me to process that reality in my life. Though I was enjoying my preparation for public service and law, he helped me see that my true love was/is the Bride of Christ, the Church. After our conversation, I went to the administration building to drop my political science/pre-law major and focused on my preparation for christian leadership in the church.

He was one man in a long line of people who impacted the trajectory of my life because of the time they took to invest in me (and many others, I'm sure). God has spoken so loudly to me through the lives of others. May he do the same through me.

Godspeed, Glenn Martin. You attained much on earth - titles, position, respect. But now nothing is more profound than your position as a child of the Almighty. May you rest in His presence and care as you await the arrival of those into whose lives you have poured yourself. That which you saw only dimly as in a mirror, you now see clearly - your Master's face (1 Corinthians 13.12). Worship Him with joy into all eternity.

Matt

No comments: