Tuesday, July 06, 2004

tribute to my wife...

Heidi rocks!! That's all there is to it. She was up most of the night last night...Libby was really tearing it up. I'm not too good in the middle of the night, so she tends to take those shifts. Last night was tough.

Babies change your life. Enter your nominations for "Understatement Of The Year" now...

I don't go out as much as I used to. I don't golf as much as I used to. I don't get to do as many projects and special events at work these days. I sleep less. I don't get to fall into my chair when I get home from a long day. Heidi and I haven't been to Vermont in years -- and it will be last that long before we actually do make the trip again.

But the changes that have taken place in my life are nothing compated to what Heidi has given up. She has put her career in medicine on hold. She'd be a great doctor and is smart enough to make it into medical school with half her brain tied behind her back (see, I'd fail anatomy). But she gave that up to be a mommy. She could be a nurse manager in a hospital (she has been asked wherever she's worked). But she is giving herself to manage our home. She doesn't get to stroll up and down the grocery aisles any more -- now she navigates right down the middle so as to be out of arms length from the 3 foot suction cup that goes with her everywhere.

My life has changed these past couple years. Heidi has given up her life and been given something totally new...something that, at times, barely resembles a life. And she did it on purpose. She chose to become a mommy.

She's an awesome mommy, too. I love to watch her care for our kids. Izak adores her! She sits with him and plays with him. She challenges his growing mind as she talks with him. And even when Libby is screaming at night, she is so gentle and loving, whispering her love into my daughter's ears. She's patient...gentle...kind...loving...merciful.

Heidi has given up so much of what was important to her. But in return, she has gained that which she has always hungered for...Jesus. Because she put to death her self, she has gained life like Him.

I love Heidi. I respect Heidi. I...you know, there just aren't the right words sometimes.

Matt

ps - check out her thoughts on motherhood by linking to her blog at the right...

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Lover,
You humble me and bless me. Even though pleasing God is the ulitmate joy in my life, being your wife is a close second.

YOur biggest fan