Sunday, July 25, 2004

This van breaks for...

...everything!  Friday was cruising along at a fine speed when I got the phone call.  Heidi explained that the rear tire on the van won't move.  Hmmm...very interesting.  Not sure what I could do to rememdy the problem, I went home.

Jumped in...turned it on...put the van in "drive"...and sure enough...three tires roll, one doesn't.  Back up.  Same.  Forward again.  Nothing.

I have pretty must one mechanical skill.  In many cases, it's not too useful.  But I think I could appropriately apply it here.  So I pulled out my hammer and wacked at the break drum from behind the wheel.  Then I dragged the van down the driveway until the wheel let loose and all four tires worked!  I'm a hero! 

Not really.  There's still and problem that needs to be fixed.  But it's nice to be partly useful, especially when it involves whacking something with a hammer!

Saturday was a long day.  Heidi and I host a day-long marriage preparation seminar for couples planning to be married at our church.  We do some teaching along with some other couples.  It's a great day.

But it started out a little hairy...I was about to begin my first session.  The couples were gathered and ready to begin their relational bootcamp.  Let me pull out my notes...hmmm...this is the right folder...why aren't they here?  I have everyone else's lesson, but not mine!!  Hello!!!  Time to panic.  But I kept the game face on, asked to be excused, and then went to the bathroom so that last night's mexican could make a prompt exit.  Five minutes into the seminar, disaster awaited. 

I could either go tell the couples to wait some more while I tried to find my notes.  Or I could go inthere and wing it.  Well, I've done this seminar enough times to get through, so I went with the winging it option.

At the end of the first session, Heidi commented that this time was about the best she's heard!  God, you're funny that way.

The rest of the day went along well.  I think the the couples got some stuff out of it.  And Heidi and I always have a good time.

The van's in the shop so that someone with real skills can take a look at it.  Heidi works tomorrow for the first time since Libby's birth -- which means I'm at home with both kids for the first time by myself...I'll fill you in on that one Tuesday.

peace,

Matt

1 comment:

C-Man said...

Van Problems on the weekend - sucks
Forgetting your notes for a seminar - really sucks
being home with your children - priceless

Thoughts from West Michigan.