Thursday, March 10, 2005

where did the week go?

Has anyone seen my week. I know I left it here somewhere...last I knew, it was Monday afternoon...now I'm stairing Friday in the eyes. It's incredible how quickly time goes by these days.

I spent last night fighting with the microwave. I wish I could say that I victoriously installed the new one above the stove. All the fighting was only to get the old one off the wall. I called several people who might be able to give me clues, but to no avail. Until my mother-in-law called back, that is. She was reading some instructions that she found for her own microwave and began reading through them. Nothing was new until..."pull the release lever.." What? A lever? Let me try this...whamo!! Thanks, Ma!

After that, it was time for West Wing so I gave up for the evening. Tonight...nope...not tonight. I'm working on my message (at least I will be in a few minutes) and then to bed.

Heidi continues to feel terrible. She's a strong woman, though and manages during the day pretty well. She's crashed on the couch right now. They're so peaceful when they're asleep...

I finally got to do some reading this week. It's ironic...in Hamburg, when I preached only once-in-awhile, I got to read more than a book a week. Now, in a situation where I need to read a lont to stay on top of preparation for speaking, I don't get the time to do it. Hmmm...

But this week, I made the time. Just like Lance Armstrong needs to discipline himself to be the best in his craft, I need to force myself to do what it takes to be the best at mine. It was great! I holed up at Panera Bread around the corner and read...no phones, no quick questions...just me, a cup of great oj, and my book.

Laura Goble is coming to town this weekend. She is a great friend and comrade in the mission. Seeing her, however briefly, will be like a tall Diet Coke from Uncle Joe's on a hot August day (Uncle Joe's had the perfect mix of carbon and syrup to make the best Diet Coke). Can't wait.

Speaking of Diet Coke. I was a regular at the machine in the lobby of Hamburg Wesleyan. "She" (the machine) was always good to me...a little pick-me-up in the middle of the day. I learned today that she was replaced by a Pepsi maching...aarrghh! Oh, the betrayal!! Lou, what are you trying to do to me?!?! Pour salt in the wound. Sure, I may have influenced some of the minsitry in Hamburg while I was there, but my true and lasting (so I thought) legacy would be the Coke machine...so I join with the writer of Ecclessiastes...it's all a chasing after the wind...

But...I'm actually coming off the sauce. I'm down to drinking pretty much just de-caff. diet coke, working my way to not drinking the stuff at all (except while out to eat...nothing beats a little dc with a steak). I'm not sure what drove me over the edge...something about taking care of the body God gave me...blah, blah, blah. I think there's a connection between diet coke and my self-discipline in eating. Not sure, but hey, it's my hunch so I'll go with it.

Ok, that's the scoop for tonight.

Peace,

Matt

No comments: