Saturday, March 19, 2005

Daddy Saturday...

Heidi's off running some errands. I get to have some time to myself during the week when I go to work...it's not exactly rest, but it's some time that I control...sort of. She never gets that time. Her job is her home...so even running errands is like a little break. Thanks, Babe, for all you do to keep our home running so well. It's a gift to me.

Today, Jon is coming over to help me do some work in the basement. The stairs need to be redone so they can be carpeted when the rest of the basement is done. I'm not very handy, so will be learning from Jon, who is great with sort of stuff. I'm excited about it.

And the learning will trickle down...Izak loves this stuff, too. Just this morning, as I was doing a few things to prepare for Jon's work, Izak had to be right by my side. I loves to carry around his tape measure (yes, he has to have his own) and his hammer. As I pounded nails out of the treds, he did, too. And when I stopped to snick back my runny nose, he'd stop and do the same thing. Those are pretty incredible daddy moments. If it was just about getting the job done, it would be frustrating. But it's not. The job needs to be done, but if I get some time with my boy in the process, it's okay for the work to take longer. If I can estblish a patter of my son following my lead, then we're charting a good course for the future.

It's been a good week in IL. I'm enjoying watching my brackets in the tournament. So for, I'm not doing too badly. Believe it or not, I actually picked Vermont and Bucknell! I did so because I'm stupid and don't know better, but hey...

In looking at my bracket picks, I've found evidence of incredible optimism. I've picked way more upsets than I should have...so much that if they happened, it would be a record year. Oh, well. I've still gotten 23 of the first 32 game right. Not bad for my first year ever doing a bracket for the tourney.

I guess that it's for now. A buddy of mine said these blogs are supposed to be brief, not simply a daily recount of life, and should not be posted very day. I guess he knows what he's talking about since he's an admissions rep. at a university...I think they know everything, don't they? Props JMak!

Peace,

Matt

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Props back at ya... my opinions are widely held as useless in most circles though Matt. Blog away guilt free.

Daddy Saturday was a great reminder of the role of fatherhood. I admit, I missed the point tonight when I began making a fire in our wood stove and Ethan (2 yr. old) wanted to help, out of fear he would touch the stove and fear he might hurt himself on the hatchet I made him sit and watch from a nearby chair... next time I'll look for a way to include him... I do love those moments too... (He calls mom "honey" now, just like me)

JMAK