Sunday, March 13, 2005

Song of the Harlet

Just finished the worship gathering at Northwest. I'd say that every conversation I lead has first filtered through my life, but some more than others. Today's conversation was based on the story in Luke 7.36-50 -- the story of a town whore being overwhelmed in her love for Jesus. Years ago, Heidi came across a song that is based on that story. Here it is...

The Song of the Harlet

In the night
the harlet moves across the floor
she turns the hande on the door
one hundred eyes
seem to look right through her
why she's there? They're not sure
behind her love she falls down to her knees
without a word
she begins to weep and her tears, they fall down up on his feet
and she smother them with kisses
she dries them with her hair
in my life sorry has kissed my lonely heart
fear of man tears me apart
and I've tried but many times I've loved the world
many time sI've been the whore
I've cried amillion tears
maybe more
so many times
I have been the whore
I will fall down
on my knees
I will sing "I love, my Love"
I will weep
"I live, my Love"
I will sing
because I love my love
and my tears will fall
down upon your feet
let me smother them
with kisses
let me dry them
with my hair
if I could be anyone at all
if I could be
anyone at all
let me be
the whore at Jesus' feet.


So often, I've corrupted the power of God's love by putting him into catagories that I can (so I think) control and understand. Jesus didn't invite us into a deeper knowledge of systematic thoelogy (which has a place, to be sure), but into a love story that he is writing.

Do you ever struggle with the tension between a systematic understanding of God/Jesus/Holy Spirit and a passionate, intimate love for him? Is it okay to live in that tension? What does it look like?

Peace on the journey,

Matt

No comments: