Thursday, September 16, 2004

comedy and "croaky"

With some words, I seem very presidential...I can never quite pronouce "kareoke"...but whether I can say it or not, it's on tap for tonight at the Catalyst kick-off! We're bringing in a young comedian to headline the evening and then we'll check out the musical talent (or lack thereof). Should be a great time as we launch the new ministry year with young adults.

Last night was Vision Night for the whole church. Looking around, I was struck by how few young adults were there. They knew about the evening, but...for a couple reasons didn't show. One is that not too many young adults are considered leaders or see themselves as accepted leaders in the church. Also, I think there are different things that get us charged up, as young adults...listening to a few speakers talk about the strategic shift in leadership development doesn't do it.

It as a good night, but I think pretty "boomer" oriented. And since this is primarily a boomer church, we're right on track.

That's what Catalyst is all about. Raising up the next generation of Christ-followers in a style and language that is relevant and speaks to our worldview.

I'm sort of a bridge person in many areas of my life. This is one. I play nicely with boomers and more "modern" generations...I'm pretty effectively in leading in this arena. But on the other hand, I naturally lean toward a more postmodern mindset in ministry and relationships. So I stand in between.

I'm also a bridge person when it comes to the urban/suburban relationships being developed here. I'm on staff and live in the suburban context. I serve on the board and have many connections in the urban context. I bring urban issues to the suburban table and provide a suburban perspective at the urban table.

Since I was a kid, I found myself being comfortable in a variety of settings. I played cards over lunch with the "geeks" and was invited to the parties with the jocks. I sang in the chorale and ensemble (which was one of the more exclusive musical options) and spent a lot of time doing youth group stuff. I don't know that I'm a cameleon, but I tend to blend...and feel pretty natural doing it.

I hope God continues to use me as a bridge from Him to people who don't yet know Him. He's a great God and His love is so incredible...I just want people to know that.

Peace,

M@

No comments: