Thursday, October 15, 2009

Izak - a birthday tribute

In a few hours, my son will turn 7 years old. I remember so much of that night and day. I remember the excitement of having Heidi wake me up and tell me it's time. I remember the adrenaline rush of driving to the hospital in the middle of the night - permission to speed! I remember being excited to meet my child. I remember keeping watch with Heidi while she labored in the store room because all the birthing rooms were full. I remember being so proud of her. I remember the music playing in the background. I remember the world passing me by and not caring because one of the most spectacular events in the world was taking place.

And now...7 years later, I've gotten to know that little critter a bit better. Here's what I've learned about your oldest son:

- We named him well. Izak means laughter and he LOVES to laugh!
- He loves doors. No...really...he loves doors. And anyone who has an automatic door on their van...they are awesome!
- He loves to have his back rubbed.
- He's great at snuggling on the couch while watching a movie.
- He likes to tease by saying, "Red Sox stink!"
- He works so hard to make sure he doesn't disappoint anyone; especially his parents.
- He has a heart that is soft toward God. He eagerly prays each day and looks for opportunities to pray with others if they are hurt or sick.
- He dances a pretty men irish jig!
- He's a good runner - I watch him on the playground and he's got great form...impressive!
- He has a blast playing tag with the girls at school. The little girl who wanted to give him a kiss makes him giggle...keep running, buddy!
- He's got a great ear for music.
- He's so smart...seriously. He gets that from his mother - not putting myself down, just recognizing what's true.
- He works hard to be a good friend to the people around him.
- He's compassionate. He's one of the first ones to stop when someone falls down - he checks to make sure they are ok.
- He doesn't understand why people would be mean or tease other kids. Seriously...it's eludes him.

I never imagined that I could love a child like I do my 3 kids. Not only was my first son born 7 years ago tonight...something in me was born, too...the love of a father. That love is fierce. That love is strong - sometimes overwhelming even to me. That love is rooted in today while looking to tomorrow.

And as I experience a father's love for my children, I grow in my understanding of God's love for me/us. My love for my kids falls short - I fail them almost daily. But the love of the Father never falls short, it always builds up and exceeds expectations.

I am proud to be the daddy of such a great kid. I'm humbled that God gave him to me as a gift. I'm honored that he is in my family.

Happy birthday, Izak. Your daddy is proud of you and of the boy you are becoming.

M@

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey pastor, this is awesome..wish they had blogs back in my day(or wish i had just thought of writing down my feelings thru the early childhood years), these reflections at times just past by without being able to pass them on..this will be priceless to them in years to come.. thanks for being a great example of DAD..

Anonymous said...

Hey, Matt!

My sister sent me to your blog, suggesting I should read your "Izak" entry. It's great to hear your heart again. It hasn't changed!

Blessings, Brother!
Kim (Van Oordt) Veen
veenville4@aol.com

P.S. My oldest (of 4) just turned 10!