Friday, October 09, 2009

Friendship (part 3)

I've found that going to Applebees for a date with my wife is killer. No, not because of the food (no comments here please), but because of the tvs all over the place. The lure of the flickering light calls for my attention - and before I realize it, I'm watching the relay of that horrible call at first base during the Red Sox/Angels game. I digress...

Just because we have ears, doesn't mean we listen well. Listening...really listening...is a skill that is developed and employed within healthy friendships.

Listening goes beyond the words to the feelings behind the words.

Listening requires asking good questions.

Listening requires time and intentional attention (say that ten times fast).

When your friend speaks, do you really listen?

m@

No comments: