Tuesday, March 18, 2008

NY, NY

"My name is David Paterson, and I'm the Governor of New York!" heard moments after taking the oath of office to replace Elliot Spitzer, who resigned because he hired hookers.

Moments later Governor Paterson told reporters that he had multiple extra-marital affairs while he and his wife were having a rough go at marriage. Apparently, she did, too.

What?!?! He didn't bring it up earlier in his political career because it didn't seem relevant. But now he doesn't want it to interfere with his governorship. Nice...

Is is too much for us to expect our leaders to be men and women of integrity? Is is possible for people to "climb the ladder" while maintaining the fabric of their character?

You know what? I actually think it's possible. I think it's possible to be a great leader without being a jerk or hypocrite. I think it's possible to lead movements while loving one's family well and cultivating healthy relationships with friends who aren't impressed with us.

It's possible. It's hard. But it's possible.

I'm grateful to be directly led by people who strive for this kind of leadership. I'm thankful that they will push me to be this kind of leader.

By God's grace...it's possible...

M@

No comments: