Monday, January 15, 2007

Daddy Day...

Well, the kids lived through a day with Daddy at the helm. Barely...

They all were apparently excited about the prospect of being home with Daddy, because they started talking together about 5am...

"LIBBY!!" - coming from Izak's room.
"EINSKEIN" - coming from Libby's (that's what she calls him).

Back and forth several times. Then laughing and more yelling.

Let me set the stage. I'm not a morning person. Never have been (maybe a couple of Christmas mornings about 25 years ago, but certainly not on any regular on-going basis). I'm pretty convinced that Jesus doesn't even want to see me at 5 am.

I told them to keep it down, which they did, thankfully. That gave me time to shower to begin my day so that I could possibly smile at them at six-two-zero (the time we tell Izak he's allowed to come out of his room in the morning).

We played a lot today. We went to the store. For some reason, people just stop and look at the bearded man with two kids in one cart, stuff in another cart, and a walkie-talkie tagging along beside. I got both looks of sympathy, concern, and support. But no matter the look, they all gave me a wide berth to move through!

Here's the kicker...none of them made it to 6 pm. by 5, they were all melting. Izak was the worst! He stood outside the tub crying..."I can't move." I got him to his room and jammied up for the night, telling him to wait for me to get Lib down. By the time I got her down and went back to him, he was crashed in bed with the lights on full. Poor kid...

So I had the evening to myself. My dad recommended the show 24 to me last year, but I missed most of it before starting to watch...I got lost. So this year, I wanted to watch it from the beginning. I may be a simple man (may, nothing...), but this show grabbed me from the first tick of the very loud clock. I'm hooked. Thanks, Dad...

I heard from Heidi who is getting filled up by the love of good friends. She heads home tomorrow. I should see her before heading into a marathon elders' meeting in the evening.

In all, it's been a good Daddy day. I didn't lose my cool. I didn't lose any kids. And the house is at peace.

I'm guessing they're going to be excited about another day with Daddy, so I'd better get to bed...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go with "24", Matt. So sad though. I didn't even get to watch the opening shows.

wAv said...

Einskein. Is that short for Einstein? Like in, "Hey, Einstein!

I am hooked on "Lost" myself and I may be going the massive DVD viewing route of "24".

Frank said...

24 is awesome!