Thursday, September 08, 2005

Un-retired...

I was pulling for Lance Armstrong in this past Tour-de-France. I admire great athletes; Armstrong certainly fits the bill. I also wanted to see him go out on top. More often than not, great athletes miss their curtain call and hang onto glory (as faded as it becomes) with white knuckles.

Not so, for Armstrong. He told the world that after this year, the Tour was going to be left to the others. He would ride his last for Team Discovery. And then he would focus on his relationship with Crowe (who will become his wife soon enough, his children, who are still quite young and his cancer research foundation.

Great call, Lance!! I'm proud of you. You made your fortune, are leveraging your influence well in the area of cancer research. And you are not content to screw your family over (again). Most athletes don't have the courage to stop on top and leave the stage for others. But good for you!

Lance can do whatever he wants to do with his life. I can't make decisions for him. But the news has been leaking that he will be training with Team Discovery this winter in the probable return to the race that brought him much fame and glory. That's very disappointing to me on several levels...

1) let it go, Lance!! You can't win every time. Don't tarnish what you've worked so hard to earn by finishing 3rd or worse this year or next. I admit, this is a selfish reason. I want to remember him the way he was...not as grandpa Lance.

2) When you brought your kids up on the podium to celebrate your historic 7th victory, you were telling the world that they are more important than more glory. By stepping back into the ring, you are implanting the notion that they are always #2 in your life. It doesn't matter what you say, your actions speak very loudly. I'm not asking you to be a perfect parent, but I would challenge you to put the same amount of energy and commitment in your family that you have put into racing all these years.

3) Feed the true hunger in your life. I'm not judging Lance, but I suspect that there is something stirring deep within him that is unquenchable. It's a hunger for intimacy with God. Like most people in this world (even religious folks), I'm betting that if he rides hard enough, the hunger begins to go away. When he was riding into Paris victorious, he didn't notice the hunger. But now, in the quietness of retirement, the hunger resurfaces. But it's not a hunger for more glory...it's a hunger for the glory of God. Seek him out, Lance...find satistfaction in Him.

So those are my thoughts about Lance Armstrong toying with the notion of returning to biking. I hope he doesn't. But that's just my opinion.

M@

4 comments:

Dawn said...

It bugs me - cuz just like, not even a month ago - he was staring interviewer Ann Curry straight in the eye and said there is no way I will be racing again.

Frank said...

I agree with you Matt 100%.
We miss you guys!
Frank

Deb said...

This is reminiscent of Michael Jordan's comeback that fizzled. I wished that he, too, could have been remembered for the "nothin' but net" finish.

Matt and Heidi said...

Totally agree on Jordon...

And I think I'd have a different take on it if Lance (or Jordon et al) would come back in an effort to pass the baton. In Lance's case, for him to join the Discovery Team, but not as the leader...as one who will help thenext leader win the Tour. Even more profound would be for him to ride on the team with Jan Ulrich (his prime competitor) as the leader. How cool would that be?