Wednesday, July 27, 2005

it's nuts!!

The office just took a few steps closer to nuts! Dan showed up for duty on Tuesday. It's awesome having him around the office!! His heart is soft toward God. His sense of humor is about endless. And his head for leadership is beyond his years. I think it's going to be a great partnership...Kevin, Dan, and me.

You wouldn't think it would change, much, but having another leadership staff really does make a difference. I like the challenge that it will present me...caring for, leading, and sharing life with both of these guys.

I've been leading a conversation on prayer during the weekend worship gatherings. It's been a good challenge for me to study and articulate a vision of prayer that is complex, yet so simple. I've noticed the changes in my own prayer life, which is encouraging. At the heart of it, prayer is about a conversation with God, which draws us closer together.

The other part of prayer remains somewhat mysterious to me...the requests/intercession part of prayer. We're making that turn this weekend. What can I pray for and then what can I expect from God as I do?

In short, the more my prayers aligns with God's kingdom and will in this world, the more I will see God's power revealed in the answers. I'm still processing that...

Has there every been anything huge that you've prayed about and seen God answer/do in response? Share the story with me, if you would.

Peace,

Matt

1 comment:

Rambling Rachel said...

As your Sunday discussion of prayer began, I thought, "This prayer this has baffled me, I need to really study what the Bible says." And it was interesting as the sermon went on, you said nearly verbatim that a conclusion I came to nearly 7 years about--prayer is not asking for stuff as much as it should be about asking for help to align to God's will. Let your will be done on earth as it is in heaven and help me to understand it.

I came of age in the mid 90s--like you and I don't know if warrior praying and bringing down strongholds was in your church vocabulary, but was in mine. And I remember a wise man saying--what's wrong with humbling coming before God--why do we have to be so demanding all the time and speaking to the dark forces? That was the beginning of a new journey for me.

There has to be a place for fervency and asking God for stuff. The heroes of the Bible did--Hannah begged God for a son. I know you addressed it on Sunday, but I think I need to listen to the discussion again and get my Bible out. What if Hannah had just prayed for God to help her deal with her barrenness and to use her experience to minister to other barren women? That's how I think she SHOULD have prayed. Not spending her time crying at the temple.

Rachel