Sunday, May 16, 2004

hangin' with the 'rents...

My folks have been in town since Friday night. It's been a nice visit. Izak, my 18-month-old is totally in love with Grandpa...it's pretty fun to see. He wants to always hold his hand when they walk and likes to sit in his lap - that's the good stuff!

I was struck yesterday by the significance of our stories. On Friday, there was a funeral for a 29-year-old guy who decided to call it quits by chewing a .38. He didn't know God, as far as anyone knew, including those closest to him. Unless my theology is totally wacked, the guy paid sticker price on an eternity without God. It's hard to find hope in that kind of situation.

About a month or so ago, I was a part of a funeral for another young guy - about 24, who died by accident or suicide (things still aren't conclusive). I had just picked up a mentoring relationship with him. A year ago, I baptized him while he was on leave from the military. He was making some good choices but still struggled with depression. But there was something different in the grieving for this guy...

Two stories of two young men. One being changed by Jesus, the other desperate without Him. There isn't a neat and tidy "take-away" point in this...I'm just struck by the difference. And the importance that is found in the difference.

Peace,
Matt

1 comment:

C-Man said...

I cannot believe that. Life is too short as it is.