Tuesday, May 25, 2004

crazy times...

Let me recap the past few days....

Sunday...I spent most of the day at a Board retreat for Peace of the City. POTC is a ministry to children, youth, and their families on the westside of Buffalo. I've been on the board of this urban ministry for the past 3 years. It's a pretty incredible way to invest in the lives of people who have been forgotten by society.

After that, Heidi and I spent much of the evening getting ready for labor and delivery of the new Furr kids who is on the way soon.

Monday...we spent most of the day hanging out at home and at a friend's house. Audry and her daughter Ainsley (who is about Izak's age and much more verbal) had us over to their house. Audry will be running point on Izak's care when we go to the hospital to deliver the new baby.

Tuesday...started bright and early with a meeting with John Lee and Mike Burgess. John is a strong partner in urban ministry and a good friend (he and his wife Sue came for dinner Friday night). Mike is a minister at an African-American church in the city and a man of sound character. I learn so much in my conversations with him. He is wise and humble.

We spend much of our time talking about the importance of learning to be a good follower before trying to be a good leader. I have seen so many ways that God has used a 2x4 to teach me those lessons. I believe I'm made to lead. But my training requires becoming a good follower. I'm not so sure I'm good at it, yet...but He gives me many opportunities to grow in this.

After a morning of staff meetings, I met with a group of men who are key leaders in a variety of churches. We're talking about church planting in the city. I have the overwhelming sense that God is bringing together many special pieces, even though I have no idea how they all fit together yet. It was a great lunch together. God's leading and you can't go wrong with that!

So here we are...Tuesday night. Just finished watching NCIS - great show!

Oh yeah...Heidi's having contractions...

Matt

No comments: