Thursday, September 28, 2006

catching up...

mostly...It's been a crazy week or so. Here's a rundown with potential commentatry...

- I can't stand the Yankees...but the multiple post is more of a reflection of my own impatience in not waiting for blogger to download before I tell it to try again;-) Though, in case I didn't make my point clearly...I can't stand the Yankees!

- Heidi, the kids, and I traveled to Michigan last Thursday to be with her family and for the the memorial service to honor Grandma Bennett. It went well. The kids did great in the van (with dvd players!).

- The service on Saturday went well. Grandma was honored. The family was comforted. And God was lifted up as the giver of life. I was glad to be a part of it.

- On the drive to Michigan, I got a call that Mrs. Nguyen (pronounced 'win') died. She has been a part of Northwest for several years and has been living with her daughter and son-in-law, who are Northwesters, too. Her funeral would be Sunday afternoon.

- Mrs. Nguyen's and the Doan's small group stepped up during this time. Even though I was not there, they were well cared for. That's community, baby! I love to see that at work.

- After the memorial service in Michigan, I hopped in my mil's yellow VW Beetle and drove to Chicago (hey, it gets great mileage as a diesel 5-speed) in time for the viewing. It was a neat time to connect with the family and plan for the service on Sunday.

- Sunday morning was special, too. Northwest is helping a new Korean church by letting them use our space Sunday afternoons. The congregation was introduced to Pastor Choi and his family during the 1030 worship gathering. People were excited. Rev. Choi and his family gave us a gift in song...they played and sang Nearer My God To Thee. Even though the words were in Korean, the Spirit of unity was present and was a gift to us. Very cool.

- The afternoon funeral went well. Another cultural experience as Mrs. Nguyen and her family are Vietnamese. It was very special.

- After that service and a brief stop at the dinner prepared, I went hopped back into the VW and drove back to Michigan to get my family. I laid down to sleep by 2am and got to sleep until about 7 when I woke up to kiss on the cheek by my oldest son...what a great way to wake up...

- We were on the road by 10am and heading back to Chicago. We beat rush-hour traffic in the city and where playing in our own back yard by 3.

- Since that time, we've been examining the options of getting a new van. Ours has had regular trouble and we're done dealing with it. I think we found something that will work...but we're still praying for wisdom and God's leadership in this process.

So...that's the scoop. It's been a whirlwind for sure...but very good, too. I'm excited about the cross-cultural implications of supporting Good News Church (the Korean congregation) as they reach a group of people in our community that Northwest never will. I love that. We/I will learn much, no doubt.

Thanks for praying for us during the past week.

Peace,

Matt

No comments: