Saturday, May 13, 2006

What a week!!

Wow...that one was a doosey!! Here are some of my reflections on this past week...

- There are some pretty intense things going on at Northwest. I could not be more excited about what God is up to. People are really experiencing His presence in profound and powerful ways. I'm including myself in that, which is incredible!

- The kids have had a nasty virus for over a week. Izak woke up last Sunday with a mighty yak! And he didn't stop for several days. He got very bad. I've never seen him that flacid and weak. Heidi processed that really well on her blog...check it out. It was a scary time.

He landed in the hospital for two days and one night. I got to stay with him over most of that, since Levi also started yakking and filling nasty diapers...he needed Mom to be near even more than Izak did. It was an honor for me to simply be with my son while he recovered. I hope and pray that at some level, he experienced a bonding with Daddy that he will draw on as he gets olders.

One of the thoughts that I had during this ordeal was: Izak gets to live because he's my son. Because he was born into my family, in the US, he gets to live. Had he been born into a family in rural Africa or India or so many other poor countries, he would have died from this virus. Some people make a great deal about how much America sucks. I know we're not perfect...but I get to laugh with my son today because we live in America. I'm thankful for that. On the flip side, I'm also not ok with people dying from a virus like this...what can I/we do to help bring about a new reality to people around the world? I think there is much...we can give generously to organizations that are on the ground in other countries doing the hard work. We have so much that we do not need...it's time to share.

- It's important to me to be a solid Daddy. I wear that name as a badge of honor. As much as I love my work and am passionate about serving Jesus, I love my family deeply and am thankful for opportunities like this past week to put feet on that heart.

- Rick is in town for a few days. Rick is a soul-mate friend from Buffalo. He is a gift to me. He encourages and humbles. We laugh together in ways that should be illegal (should be...but aren't!) Our wives are so incredible, they are making a way for us to golf together. So he's in town this weekend and we'll golf at least 3 times, it not 4. He'll also kick my butt in pool a bit, too. God's timing in bringing him here this weekend is perfect.

- DaVinci Code comes out this week. So many different reactions to this book and movie. I read the book a while back. I like Tom Hanks, so I'll probably watch the movie at some point. I think people often react out of two things: fear or idolatry of the Bible. We don't need to fear that someone is going to prove the bible false, thus undermining my faith. We don't need to fear. Because (and this leads to the second part) our faith is not based in the text, but in the person revealed in the text, Jesus. Even if it was empiracally proven (which I don't think it ever will be) that the Bible is historically inaccurate, my faith would still remain strong in the person of Jesus. How? If the text is not accurate, how can I know? The Spirit. God gave us His Spirit which leads us and guides us. Is the Bible important? It's huge. But it's not bigger than Jesus. And sometimes people act as if the bible is more important that being a passionate follower of Jesus. Passionately loving Jesus brings one to the text.

I'm talking a bit about this during worship on Sunday. Should be an interesting message. It will be different sort of flavor than normal, but a change is good now and then. I'm looking forward to it.

That's the scoop.

Peace,

M@

5 comments:

Frank said...

Matt,
I am so happy to hear that the kids are well! We were praying for them, and you and Heidi as well!
I like what you said about the Da Vinci code.
I agree that the Bible is not greater than Jesus, but my reasons are different than yours.
I believe that the the Bible is Jesus in the sence that we cannot get to know and have that personal relationship with Jesus without the Bible. I believe the Bible it reveals Him to us.
Just my opinion.

Anonymous said...

But isn't the Bible the very Word of God?? It isn't an "either" "or" - Bible v. Jesus. Obviously our faith is in Jesus - He's the one who saves. But Scripture is God breathed is it not? We do not have to fear DaVinci or such because God's Word is true.
Can you give an example of someone who places their faith in the Bible and not Jesus? What exactly does something like this look like. How can someone be too into the Bible?? Good grief, if anything the problem today is people aren't in Scripture enough and they don't even know it.

Matt and Heidi said...

Anonymous - I looked back at what I wrote and I can't find where I said that it was either Jesus or the Bible. Could you help me out on that? Where did I say that? You used "" so I figured it was a quote from something that I wrote.

I agree that one of the problems is that people are not in scripture enough. But just because that may be true, doesn't mean that the other problem doesn't exist -- people who have made an idol out of the Bible. I would describe this person as someone who knows the facts of the Bible inside and out, are proud of that fact, but lack a loving spirit toward Christ or others.

Again...the scriptures are a treasure and it's amazing how God has preserved them through the centuries. I'm all about teaching the Bible, using it as a tool to measure one's life, and have found it to be helpful in getting to know Jesus.

I hope that helps...

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I confused you with the "". I guess I was trying to offset the words - either and or - I wasn't quoting you there.

Your response of "I would describe this person as someone who knows the facts of the Bible inside and out, are proud of that fact, but lack a loving spirit toward Christ or others" clarifies things a bit. Yes this is wrong for sure.

I guess I get this feeling somehow that you are downplaying Scripture. You talk about the Holy Spirit leading us and guiding us. But doesn't He use His Word (the Bible) to do that?? Every thing does go back to Scripture alone doesn't it?

Maybe I'm misreading you here, but you said "I'm all about teaching the Bible, using it as "a" tool to measure one's life."
What I've always known is the Bible is THE tool to measure one's life, not just A tool. Do you see the difference?

As far as DaVinci goes, it's really becoming a big hoopla isn't it. Hopefully some will come to see the real Jesus revealed in Scripture instead.

Matt and Heidi said...

Anonymous (would love it if you would sign your name on the post)...I used "a tool" on purpose. Your response indicates to me that the Holy Spirit is not also a "tool" (insofar as a living being is a tool) for the measurement of life. That's not a very biblical theology that I would challenge you to re-examine.

For example, my family and I left a great job, incredible friends, and a fruitful investment in the kingdom last year. The Bible didn't tell us to do that. The Spirit directed it. I wouldn't have done it if the Spirit had not lead us to do so. And the Spirit has affirmed that decision in a hundred ways since then.

That's just one example of how Holy Spirit has lead me, personally.

But if you need biblical examples, there are plenty.

If your theological bent is to say that the Spirit's supernatural work in leading and miracles is done, that's fine. But you can't assume that that's the only correct doctrine, because scripture doesn't support it. Nor does 2000 years of church history. There are great pastors and teachers who have this theological bent. There are also great theologians, teachers, and pastors who reject cessassionist theology.

The danger of that theology is that it puts the Bible as the third member of the trinity instead of the Holy Spirit. The Spirit is God's presence in the world today. That same Spirit inspired scripture, which is what gives the Word life and power. The Spirit will not contradict himself, so the Bible is the best tool for interpreting the leading of the Spirit.

I say best tool because the Christian community is another tool for interpreting the Spirit's leader, as is church history. But of those tools, scripture is the best, for sure. John Wesley has been helpful to me in learning some of these other ways that God affirms the leadership of his Spirit.

So it sounds like we're coming from different theological frameworks and biblical interpretation when it comes to our understanding of scripture and the Spirit. That's fine and part of the fun of being Church together...we challenge and push on important things.

Peace, Matt