Thursday, April 06, 2006

Uncle Howie...

I was walking down the street in Cambridge the other day. Just came from a great meeting and checked my voicemail. Wasn't prepared for the news my mother gave me...my Uncle Howie had died the night before...

I was shocked, not because he was a specimine of fine health. Far from it in many ways. But I knew that a door had closed. Just the week before, I mulled the idea about flying out there for a quick visit. Wasn't sure when, I knew that I wanted to see him one more time...

There are many profound dynamics to my relationship with my uncle. But I really don't feel like writing them out here at this point. Sometimes, the thoughts just seem too sacred to share with another person...

So I say good-bye to my Uncle. He gave me more than he realized. And I will be forever grateful. And I look forward to telling him that again, someday...

His journey is done.

Ours is not.

Peace on the journey,

Matt

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you matt for your loving comments about howie. love, mom

Dawn said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

the voice said...

Condolences to you and your family. In truth, he has embarked on the most marvelous journey of all, with our Lord as host! Thank You Jesus!

Frank said...

Sorry for your loss!