Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Christian = Republican?

I just read a very interesting article about Ms. Meiers, the President's pick to the Supreme Court. The article was giving a glimpse into her personal life, by relating the story of her making a decision to give her life to Jesus. It was short, but unbiased...

...until it got to the end. Almost in one sentence, it said that she gave her life to Jesus and then became a Republican. It's one thing for some backwoods hick pastor or freakish tv president-wanna-be to connect the two, but a major media outlet?

That's actually troubling to me. It troubling because someone who isn't a part of the movement of Christ-followers looks in and sees not a transformational movement but a political agenda. While I might be trying to share how someone can live in freedom, people will see me as trying to recruit to the Republican party.

It would be just as disconcerting if the association was with the Democratic party, so don't get me wrong. I reject the complete notion that one's faith in Jesus dictates a certain party affiliation...neither one is "God's party."

I'm glad that Ms. Meiers has given herself to Jesus. I think it's pretty cool that someone of faith could very likely be sitting on the highest court in the most powerful nation in the world (at this point in history). I pray that she leverages her influence well.

Peace,

M@

4 comments:

DAKOTARANGER said...

Although, one's theology MUST dictate one's politics. If you are humanist you will follow a party focused more marxist. If your a nature worshiper you would follow a party that puts a premium on a backwards way of life, avoidence of meat ect.

If your a Christian you have got to stand with a party that stands for life,resonisblity. ect

Matt and Heidi said...

I completely agree that one's theology impacts one's civiv involvement. But there are a couple things to keep in mind:

1) There's more to theology than abortion. The Bible is explicit about care for the poor and creation. If you're going to lean into theology in making decisions, then you need to go all the way, not just on a few select points.

2) There isn't a party in the world that cares about Jesus and his followers. The only purpose of a party is...power. They craft patforms based on what will bring about power. This doesn't mean that people within parties don't love Jesus and believe in certain philosophies. But the party itself has only one interest, remaining in power. For example, the Democratic party jumped headlong into welfare reform because it was a "winning" issue, not because they, as a party, believed it. Republicans have done the same thing in different ways.

My contention is that being a Christ-follower is not synonymous with being a Republican. When it is, then we're in trouble as a community.

DAKOTARANGER said...

When I posted this morning my partner walked. Over all, when talking how Republicans view personal responibility. How the party tries to help those who are down and out lift themselves out bad situations.

Should everyone come together is inspite of theological and political differences? Absolutely. Unfortunately some churches are still stuck on the concept did Adam have a bellybutton. Or as Fetz said last week we can't support a good bill that a democrat supported because they are democrats. Well thats just plain ignorant.

My point being in a Federal Republic you have got to be true to your theology first decide where that belongs in the body politic and vote that way. personally I concider myself a Federalist, sticking closer to the Bible and the founding documents than the current Republican Party. I have got to vote Republican becaue they are the party closest to my theology.

David Drury said...

I plan to become a Republican right after I join the church of Satan.

:-)