Tuesday, April 10, 2007

sacred moments...

There have been several of these in the past couple weeks. Sacred moments are hard to share...to put words to. They are the spaces in time that make life, real life...

1. There was a moment last Thursday. The Campus Pastors were gathered together with the Senior Pastors. Years ago, Jeff and Scott made a decision that they would step into co-senior leadership together, birthing the reality of team ministry at The Chapel. It's been written into the DNA. So to sign up as a leader in this community is a commitment to share life authentically with others. Last Thursday, I was welcomed into that space with 6 other men.

There is some of that moment that is truly too sacred to write here. I've shared it with Heidi, but will keep most of it in my heart.

At one particular moment, we were sitting around a table eating dinner. It was Thursday of Holy Week. It felt like some spiritual connection with that evening when Jesus ate a holy supper with his disciples, the men he intentionally invested in for 3 years. There would be no betrayal and death stemming from our table, but it was a moment...

2. During the Good Friday service at my campus, there was a moment in each service where God whispered sacred words into my soul. There were the words that make leaders shiver in awe and burst with hope. They were words for me. As I watched the people of my campus pass by me, approach a huge beam of wood, and surrender their written-out sin by nailing that paper to the beam...those moments were sacred...

What a great weekend to step into public leadership at my campus. Good Friday was the first time that I would speak publicly (without being a part of an introduction). There could not have been a more profound moment to stand before the people entrusted to my care and be a part of a sacred moment...

****
The transition continues to go well. I love meeting so many people - staff, ministry partners and leaders...it's all great! I'm being stretched as the learning curve is steep. But I sense God's hand on me.

God is good...

Peace,

M@

2 comments:

David Drury said...

So great to hear it is going so well, Matt.

When are you back in WM for a visit?

Larry said...

It's great to know God is with you but hard to know I don't share many of those moments with you anymore.