Tuesday, April 17, 2007

human fabric...

Read these words by Robert Kennedy...

"I saved . . . this opportunity to speak briefly to you about the mindless menace of violence in America which again stains our land and every one of our lives. It's not the concern of any one race. The victims of the violence are black and white, rich and poor, young and old, famous and unknown. They are, most immportant of all, human beings whom other human beings loved and needed. No one, no matter where he lives or what he does, can be certain who next will suffer from some senseless act of bloodshed, and yet it goes on and on and on in this country of ours. Why? What has violence ever accomplished? What has it ever created? Whenever any American's life is taken by another American unnecessarily, whether it is done in the name of the law or in defiance of the law, by one man or by a gang, in cold blood or in passion, in an attack of violence or in response to violence, whenever we tear at the fabric of our lives, which another man has painfully and clumsily woven for himself and his children, whenever we do this, then the whole nation is degraded. Yet we seemingly tolerate a rising level of violence that ignores our common humanity and our claims to civilization alike."

We are a thread woven together, if even clumsily. And when one part of that fabric is assulted and torn, the whole garment suffers.

Violence looks a lot of different ways. Yesterday, we saw the unthinkable unfold in Virginia. The week before, we heard the violence in the form of words - words that attempted to steal pride, dignity, and innocence. Every day, violence is a part of our world...and every day we tolerate it.

What does it look like to stop tolerating violence? Is it possible? Or do I need to just keep walking and not looking?

I think it looks like me taking notice when 3 kids in my neighborhood chase one kid off the bus and into his driveway. I didn't stop...but I watched it unfold. Would I have stopped if a blow had been struck? I'd like to think so...

It looks like people choosing to care about issues that they don't have to care about - racism, sexism, classism, etc. I'm a white man...I have the luxury of not dealing with racism each day. But there are those I love who don't have that same luxury. How do I choose to step into their "cause" because it's right and just?

Do I speak when people around me are speaking ill of another person? All too often, I've been quiet in my life. Violance? Really? Sure, maybe it's only a reputation that falls, but it's still a stain on the fabric, isn't it?

Perhaps that's why Jesus, in his teaching, continually brings us back to relationships. How we treat people shows what we really believe about him. Relationships are where faith meets life.

Today, I stop and pray because there are cries going up all over this country and world. They are the cries of people who have been feeled by violence. Stop and pray with me...pray for peace. And after we pray, let us look for ways that we are the answers to those prayers.

Peace to you...

M@

No comments: