Thursday, August 10, 2006

amazing gift...

Heidi gave me an amazing gift today. She created the space for me to head to Grand Haven, MI to meet with some mentors of mine (and my family). These are people that I try to connect with in person at least one time per year (my mentors...my family has to put up with me more than that!).

The journey of discovery began about 415am, when I pulled out of the driveway. Surely this will be early enough to avoid much traffic in the city of Chicago. I discovered that there are way too many people on the road at 4am in Chicago. Go home, people! Sleep in a bit more. The work will be there at 6, too!! Wow!

Got to Grand Haven, which is right on Lake Michigan. I grew up in this town and have always loved going to the waterfront. After 3.5 hours in the car, my muscles were aching. So I pulled into a parking lot and enjoyed a little morning jog near the water. From one end of the boardwalk to the end of the pier and back -- about 3 miles altogether. It was fun!

Spent some time with my folks and used their shower. Thank, Mom and Dad!!

Had lunch with Denny. Denny has been one of my biggest encouragers since I was a little kid. He took me under his wing when my father died and has always made time for me in his busy schedule. Denny is an encourager. He is also someone who kicks my arse...I got a bit of both during lunch. What did he speak into my life? That's for me to know and you to find out! Seriously...some of the stuff is close enough to my heart to share here. But I left my time with him both encouraged and challenged. It was worth the drive. Thanks, Denny.

After some time with family in the afternoon and a little shopping for my wife (no, I won't tell you what it was until I get home), I spent the evening with Larry and Brenda. I have spend countless hours in their living room since I was in High School. They have been profound mouthpieces of God into my life. Tonight was no exception. With a few simple questions, I shared with them what was going on in my life and at Northwest. They offered encouragement, insight, challenge, and powerful words into my life. Again, the specifics can feel somewhat sacred, so I won't write them out. But it was an incredible time with them.

Right now, I'm sitting in Jumpin' Java downtown Grand Haven. Processing my stuff a little before the drive home. I'm sort of stalling since I don't want to drive through the city too early -- the Sox will be finished whipping the *&%$&*^ Yankees tonight and I want to miss the traffic if possible.

Thank you, Heidi, for offering me this space to feed my soul. It's an amazing gift. It wasn't the same as Cambridge...but totally affirmed it...

My body is a little weary right now. But my soul is nourished. I realize at moments like this how totally blessed I am to have people who will invest themselves in me the way these folks do. I work hard for their investment to pay off...by God's grace.

Well...about time to hit the road. Gas is cheaper in Michigan...

Go Sox (White and Red)!!!

M@

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt,
What a great thing and I'm not surprised at all to see that Heidi is still herself, a wonderful person, wife and mother. I ran into your guys blog this week and I tried contacting Heidi, but I'm not a blogger. Thus, I can't comment on her blog. I'm just hanging around for the week because I actually have a moment of reprieve before school starts on Monday and was catching up on some IWU friends of mine. Will you please send Heidi my love and greetings? Doug and I have four children of our own and God has been faithful.
Romans 12:9&10
Kismet Porter

C-Man said...

dude that rocks. i am glad you had time in the "haven". that is awesome!