Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Thank you...

Heidi and I went to Olive Garden for a date the other night. We were stuffed back in a corner, far from all the hubbub...perfect. As we were talking, I heard a little voice above the din. Glansing to my left, at the next table, I saw a little girl, probably about 7 years old, standing straight and looking straight into the eyes of the three Navy men who were all sitting quietly and looking back at her. She was singing to them in a soft and tender voice.

I couldn't make out all the words to the song. But above the noise of the room, I heard "You answered the call..."and "Thank you...Thank you...Thank you."

Her family was there to celebrate grandma's birthday. But this little girl had to sing a special song for these servicement. Her mother explained to them that they have tried to teach her how special men and women have answered the call to serve their country in the military. She understood...and when she saw them, she just wanted to say, "Thank you..."

It's a moment that took be aback...difficult to put into words here. I was glad to have been invited into that moment by the tender voice of a little girl.

When she finished, the three of them all said, "You're welcome."

*************
Just finished our monthly elder team meeting. I love meeting with these people! I've loved it very time for the past year. We deal with mundane things like budgets and paint. And we deal with difficult things like conflict. We also talk about vision, mission and strategy. I love all these conversations because within all of them, we are becoming...we are becoming the church God wants us to be.

Does He care what color the walls are? Not really...though I think some forms of fushia probably offend Him! But He cares that we care...because the way a room feels makes a difference as people gather to experience and encounter with our Amazing God.

So in the budgets and vision...we find Him. They are not God. But God is so worth the hard work of leading well.

Time for bed.

Peace,

M@

1 comment:

Rambling Rachel said...

I don't think Fushia would offend him. He made flowers that color and even crazier colors.

It would offend me though. Unless there was personality to go with us.