Tuesday, November 29, 2005

not easy...

I just read a very distrubing article in the LA Times. It's an article about Dr. Harrison, an abortionist in Arkansas. I was troubled by it on several levels, but thought it was a pretty well-done column.

You can link to it at:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-abortion29nov29,0,6674686.story

(you may need to cut and paste this into your browser, not sure if it will serve as a good link from the blog directly).

I think what disturbed me the most is the casual treatment that some of these people had toward life. One young woman was aborting her baby because she was about to get married and knew that the wedding dress she picked wouldn't accomodate a pregnant belly. I think that's the one that struck me the most.

Post a comment about your reaction to what you read.

M@

3 comments:

Dawn said...

I don't even have words. Every piece of information in that article was BEYOND disturbing to me. But I must find some words...

Here's a big confession - I've always been Pro-Choice. Used to have heated debates with my Anti-Choice (my words) friend in high school. That was till I drove her to her appointment for an abortion. She didn't debate me anymore.

Since I became a Christian I've continued to be a Pro-Choicer. I've hated abortion...and wished that it didn't happen. But I've always feared the government regulating anything to do with a woman's body. It seems to me women are still second class citizens when it comes to research and information for our illnesses. I thought government involvement would open the door to other things involving our bodies and our health. But after reading this. I'm just sick. Like you said - so much was disturbing - for instance the fact that 1/3 of women under 45 will have had AT LEAST one abortion!!!! But the MOST UPSETTING is the unfathomable - casual feelings these women have to taking a life. What is happening to the human race?

Dawn said...

I feel the need to mention I did not encourage my friend to choose abortion - we had actually been out of contact for awhile - and she called me when she made the choice as someone she knew would not judge her.

And I have a question - I've been out of the news loop for awhile - what happened to that judge that was in the running that had lived in Buffalo for awhile??? The article mentions someone else in the running now??!!

Frank said...

I have a real problem with men and women who feel that their body is their own to do with what they please. We are all gifts from God.
A baby inside the womb is not "attached" to the woman except by the imbilical cord for blood and nourishment, but the baby itself is free floating in a sealed sack so to speak.
I personally have a hard time when someone says to me they are Christians and also pro-choice. How can a person be a Christian and support cold blooded murder at the same time?!
These are just my opinions how I personnaly look at life.