Wednesday, June 29, 2005

22 hours...

Yesterday was quite a day. It began about 3 am when I got out of bed and into the van. I drove to West Michigan and was there to enjoy the morning sun on the pier. I miss walking the boardwalk and enjoying the sights and smells of the big lake.

After some great time alone, I popped in on my folks. Startled the shriek right out of my mother...that was fun! Enjoyed touching base with them.

Then I got to have lunch with Branda and Larry, who have been mentors and friends for about 20 years. They have walked with me through so much. It was great to connect, even if it was brief.

Spent some more time with my folks.

Then spent the rest of the evening with Denny, another mentor for the better part of 25 years.

Then I drove home and got into bed again about 2am today.

Why would I do that? It seems sort of crazy.

I did it because of the vital importance that Brenda, Larry, and Denny play in my life (Note: my parents do, too, but I've had the chance to interact with them a few times since moving closer). They love me. They encourage me. They pray for me. And out of that kind of relationship, they speak truth to me...sometimes hard truth. Everyone needs people like this in their life.

After spending a few hours with these people, I had much to chew on and think about. They put their fingers on some areas in my life that I needed them to touch. God speaks through them to bring about his transformation in my life. God also uses his Spirit and my wife and other people. But these people are unique. They are a gift.

It was a day that was 22 hours long. But it was 22 hours that God used to speak into my soul. It could prove to be 22 hours that changed my life.

That's the gift of a mentor. It's not the same gift as a friend, parent, or spouse.

Thank you, God, for Brenda, Larry, and Denny.

M@

1 comment:

fetzer said...

sounds like a great trip.