Tuesday, May 31, 2005

weekend wrap-up...

Saturday evening, Heidi's sister and brother-in-law (Kat and Dave) arrived at Midway. On the way down to the city to get them, Heidi and I made a date of it (thanks, Bonnie)...stopped at Bennihanna's -- Heidi's favorite place! It was a nice time out.

Midway is right in the city. Chicago is a fun city to look at, especially in the evening and night. I love the skyline.

Then it happened...Heidi mentioned the need to get some kind of carpet to protect the wood floors in the kitchen because she kept finding water on the floor. Didn't think too much of it.

then, when I walked in front of the dishwater, I noticed that some water shot up through a little hole (I'm a tad bit heavier than Heidi and was able to get more of a response just by walking by). As I checked it again, sure enough...water was shooting up from beneath the floor. Not good.

I took the bottom off the dishwasher to find a pool of water. Again...not good. It was caught between the hardwood floor and the lenolium that was serving as the moisture shield. Did I mention...not good.

Within hours, the floor was warping and buckling. Oh, it will go be down once it dries. No problem.

Here's the kicker for me. When we moved into the house, we both didn't like the dishwasher...the looks and the sound. But in an attempt to be a good steward of the money God has given us, we decided to wait until it didn't work anymore...we didn't want to act out of discontentment. Hmmm...it may have been the right choice, but looking back...not so sure.

Now we get to buy a new dishwasher (on the way to be installed on Friday)...and a new kitchen floor. the first quote we got to get new flooring made Heidi cry and me go into a somber silence...not good.

I know God will provide. We just need to take another step forward and trust him to care for us. Somewhere in here, he will be faithful. Story to continue...

Tomorrow morning, I get to join with the millions of people driving into Chicago as I take Dave and Kat back to the airport. Should be interesting, no doubt.

Did I mention that the van has been in the shop all day, too? How fun. We get to buy new dishwash, new floor, and drop some cash to get the piece of X of a Dodge repaired...too many times already. Anyway...

Time to move to field and life in a tent...

Peace,

Matt

2 comments:

kyperman said...

Rough couple of weeks, I feel bad for you. As far as the van is concerned, all you had to say was "DODGE"....buy a Honda!!!

Duke said...

Matt

It's been a long time. I hope you're enjoying the adventure of pastoring in the mid-west.

Things here are always interesting. We're expecting our third - they say a girl.

I've got a question regarding your book list. I see you've got M.Scott Peck's, "People of the Lie." I had this book on my shelf for years. I noticed it on your list so I decided to work my way through it. I've found in engaging, yet very dark, equal to his warning in the prologue.

Hope you have a great week.

Duke