Friday, July 13, 2007

Rick

I've know Rick for about 8 years now. We pretty quickly became friends. And over time and sharing life deeply together, he is what I call a "soul-friend." There isn't much we don't know about each other.

My friendship with Rick has almost cost me my life on several occassions. Not because he's accident prone or because he's malicious. But because it's possible to choke on Diet Coke as it comes our your nose while laughing your can off.

One of Rick's report cards from elementary school records it all. His teacher very plainly stated, "Richard is sometimes silly in class." She didn't say if she liked his silly or if he made her batty...just stating the facts.

Not much has changed. Except that he's older now. But he's still silly. And I love laughing with my friend.

It's been hard to be away from him. There haven't been many Monday morning trips to "heaven" for golf. There aren't any Friday night card games while the kids sleep in the pack-n-play in the family room. Not many bonfires. Oh, we visit each other. We talk on the phone about weekly. We pray together, challenge each other, push each other, and listen.

It's been hard to not be near. But lately, it's been even harder.

I got the news a few weeks ago. That little spot they noticed during a bladder scan isn't as innocuous as we thought...or hoped. The doctor quickly used the "c" word...cancer. Unbelievable.

Then a couple weeks later. The pathology report which would confirm that the cancer was all removed and shouldn't be much of a future problem told another story. It was a more rare kind of bladder cancer and the type of cancer cell was a very aggressive kind. But the good news is that it's not in the muscle and was removed with the surgery.

But the bad news is that it will, without God's intervention, come back - they always do, the doctor said. So on Monday, he begins chemotherapy. And aggressive cancer deserves an aggressive attack. And the battlefield is the body of my friend.

I believe Rick will get healthy again. His life will always be different...but he has a good prognosis. And for that I'm thankful.

I've been struck by Rick's illness. Some pretty core places have been touched...or offended. Places that remember...

If God brings it to mind and you are so inclined, I'd ask you to pray for Rick. Pray that God will give his doctor a wonderful memory of a man who was supposed to get this cancer again, but never did. Pray for the peace of his spirit. Pray for his wife, Carrie, and their 3 kids - Gavin, Eve, and Maeve. Ask God to move in big ways in their lives.

Thanks for doing that.

I hate being away, especially now. But I know that God is near...and that's even better than spitting pop out our noses...

Until then...peace,

M@

1 comment:

Michelle Van Loon said...

Praying. For Rick, and for you.