Friday, December 22, 2006

Happy Holidays?

Christmas is a great season. I love it for so many reasons.

One of the dynamics of this season, one that seems to be growing every year, is the offence taken at being greeted by "Happy Holidays" at stores. I read blogs and hear Christians talking about how important it is to identify this season as Christmas.

But Christmas isn't the only holiday being celebrated by people this time of year. Some people have very meaningful celebrations of Hanuka or Kwanza. I've even gone to a Winter Solestice party!

Part of respecting other people is to invite them to enjoy whatever holiday they are celebrating, not just if it's ours. Though not a "biblical" holiday (in the sene that it's originated in the Bible), it does reflect a reality that is a the core of God's redemptive plan in the world - the celebration of Christ's birth. I'm all about that and am so thankful for the gift of life we have in Him.

But wishing someone a happy Hanuka doesn't take away my joy in Christmas. Sending some friends a Happy Kwanza card didn't in the least steal my joy or thankfulness.

The other day, I was in the store and heard the cashier saying the requisite, "Happy Holidays." to her customers. That's cool...

As I approached and was giving her my money, I stopped and asked, "What holiday to celebrate this time of year?" She stopped and looked at me a little strange...and then smiled broadly. "Hanuka...and Christmas!"

I simply said, "Then Happy Hanuka and Merry Christmas!"

It wasn't that big of a deal. But it was brief encounte where I chose to value her instead of myself.

And that's what ordinary attempts are all about.

What "ordinary attempts" at loving people have you tried lately? Share with us!

Peace...and Merry Christmas!

Matt

1 comment:

Frank said...

Matt,
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and Heidi and the Kids.
Looks like you guys were having a ball from Heidi's pictures. The kids are all so grown up.
Frank
P.S.
Apparently we had our snow in October :-) we are dry, warm and barren for Christmas.