Saturday, November 25, 2006

Thankgiving (plus 2 days)...

We had a great Thanksgiving Day! It was just the Furr 5 together. Heidi made an amazing meal for us. The kids enjoyed playing and eating special treats. We even had the chance to play at a park, the weather was so nice.

It's a good chance to stop and think about what I'm thankful for. Here are my thoughts on that...

- An amazing family. God uses my family in ways they may not even realize - He redeems dark and hidden places. My head gets so focused on work. Then it happens. Izak grabs my hand and says, "Daddy, come outside and play with me." Work. Play. Choose. My soul lives a little more each time I grab the football and run with my boy. My daughter offers a kiss in the middle of the day - yes, my baby...anything you want. And my youngest grabs my knees and threatens to pants me if I don't bend over and pay some attention his way. Yes...my family is a gift to me.

- I know I only talked about the kids above. That's because Heidi deserves her own line in my list of thanksgivings. She is an above-amazing wife. Her challenging accountability at just the right moment. Her carefully worded caution about this or that. Her wisdom. Her grace. Her hand grabbing mine when the "discouragement monkeys" come around. Yeah...beyond words. I'm thankful for my bride of 12+ years.

- I love my work. I was made for this. Even the hard days can be incredible. I have the honor of seeing God at work in a way that is unique. Oh, I could get caught up in the stuff that needs to be done, the reports written, this and that accomplished. It will come. But the joy is in the mystery of a gracious God who chooses to not forget His people, but pours out his love, grace, and joy. I see His hand in the reconciled friendship, in the freed addict, in the humble spirit. And seeing Him at work is a gift to me.

- I'm thankful for a home that is a palace compared with most of the world. I tire of the toilet that leaks and the uneven heat and A/C or the washer that's a bit too loud because it's in the kitchen. But come on...are you kidding me? No complaining allowed. It's dry. It's warm. It's cool. It's filled with laughter. My home is a gift. And so is the washer and drier...especially when one of the kids has the flu...like last night...yuck!

- I'm not sure why...I know I don't deserve them, but God has given me many friends. Seriously. There are more than a handful of people I could call at any moment of any day and pour out my heart. Most people don't have one. I have some here in Illinois. I have some in Buffalo, NY. I have some in New England and Minnesota and Michigan. My friends are a gift.

Yeah...God has given much. He has poured out his grace and mercy in my undeserving (I guess that's the point of grace, isn't it?) heart. I'm thankful for Jesus. I'm thankful that I'm not the man I would be without him. I'm thankful that he is rescuing me from my own selfishness and greed. I'm thankful that he redeems my bad decisions. And I'm thankful that He guides me into wisdom through His Spirit.

With a full heart...

M@

No comments: