Saturday, September 27, 2008

debate

Well, the first presidential debate is in the books. I'm a "political junkie" of sorts - and presidential elections are the Super Bowl of politics. Right now...honestly...it's a little like Kansas City and St. Louis playing at the SB.

After last night's debate, I'm actually wondering if we can get a redo on the nominating process. Here's my quick-hit reasons...

1. McCain's strength is his in-depth knowledge of government, leadership, and speaking his own mind. Last night, he was clearly working to get his lines right. And even when he had a great line (I love the one about DNA testing on bears in Montana), he couldn't deliver them with any sense that he's actually human.

2. Obama's strength is his ability to string words together in a way that inspires people to something greater than their current experience. Last night was about as uninspiring as an AP Calculus class. Pundits are giving him credit for looking directly at the camera...really! He showed no leadership. He showed a book-worm's knowledge of foreign affairs. But, as the candidate of hope, offered none to speak of.

I will confess that I didn't watch every minute of the debate. I just couldn't it. I had to do something interesting just to keep my pulse in a safe range - and by interesting, I mean watching Heidi balance the check book.

Anyway...maybe a little hard...maybe not harsh enough.

Looking forward to the VP debate on Thursday...

M@

No comments: