Thursday, August 07, 2008

road rash and suckers...

While preparing to have an important meeting Saturday evening, I got the phone call that parents dread. Kim stepped into my office, relaying the message: Izak is on his way to the hospital in an ambulance. There's been an accident.

One of my persistent challenges is what I call "adrenaline management." It's a place when one of my family is in danger and I get an injection of about 8000 cc's of adrenaline. But this time, I didn't do too badly in the face of this crisis.

I learned that you actually can squeal the tires of a minivan - for those of you who questioned the capacity of a minivan to drag race when needed.

Getting to the hospital, I gave the registration lady (who was very kind) 45 seconds to get what she needed before I proceeded to my son's room. She made good use of the time and pointed me in the right direction.

As I walked into the room, I see my son, strapped to the board and head immobilized. "Hi, Daddy! I got to ride in an ambulance!" And then he continued his very interesting conversation with his nurse and the paramedics who carried him in. The nurse chuckled as she recounted his first words while coming into the ER - "They have automatic doors!" He loves doors...

After a thorough inspection by a great doc, a ct scan to double check, Izak was released. The flying watoozee he did over his handle bars on his bike will be remembered by those around him, but not by him.

Later that night, as I was tucking him into bed, we did our nightly routine of processing the previous day - favorite part, not favorite part, and silly part.

Izak's favorite part of today? Riding in the ambulance.
Izak's non-favorite part of today? Dropping his sucker and seeing it shatter. Really? Is that the worst part of your day? Yeah, Dad...that was awful.

Ok then...he'll be ok. And Dad will, too.

My not-favorite part of that day? getting that awful call.
My favorite part? seeing God provide. He had his hand on my boy, and protected his body. And He provided an amazing family for Heidi and me. As I got to the hospital, a couple from our small group was already there - they altered there dinner plans and rushed over as soon as they heard the news. And throughout the evening, friends popped in to love on Izak and pray with us...just to stand by. That's part of the incredible gift of a church family. And I could not be more thankful.

M@

No comments: